Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iPhone Gaming Controller?

+4
Loki
Juheti
time
Theicecreaman
8 posters

Go down

iPhone Gaming Controller? Empty iPhone Gaming Controller?

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Article HERE

The iPhone gets a controller - The GameBone Pro wrote:The iPhone and iPod Touch made a huge splash in the gaming world, but a touch screen and tilt functionality take you only so far. An outfit from Australia called 22moo decided to remedy the matter with an external controller called the GameBone Pro. The company doesn't have a price point yet, but they aim to have the controller out by September this year.
iPhone Gaming Controller? GameBoneProBanner705_screen
The GameBone Pro comes with a D-pad, four buttons in a cross configuration, and two shoulder buttons. A 2000mAh battery powers the device, and Bluetooth and a 30-pin dock act to connect the controller to the iPhone. A built-in speaker plays back sounds and a mic records audio. An additional 3.5'' jack allows audio to play through headphones.

If one company is making an iPhone controller, there are likely others in the wings. Which brings us to the issue of controller standards. The Wii has its Remote, the PS3 its DualShock. Anybody making a controller for either of those consoles has to at least incorporate the standard button scheme. The iPhone has no such template. Who knows how many different kinds of designs we'll see.

Buttons and a D-pad would be an amazing addition to the iPhone. However, the bulk an external controller adds also poses a concern. Would you stuff a controller into your pocket alongside an iPhone or iPod Touch?
Article by GameSpot

My thoughts?: Judging by the provided website in the picture, this is another one of those "make your life easier" companies bent on simplifying every aspect of every single thing. It states on the website that the hardware is certified by Apple, and that is it still in development. We'll have to wait a bit before any conclusions can be made about this, so in the meantime, have fun playing your iTouch/iPhone games on the device itself. I don't know what really can be said about this controller because I think it defeats the point of playing games in a handheld device...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

iPhone Gaming Controller? Empty Re: iPhone Gaming Controller?

Post by time Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:20 am

once apple makes a first party game controller with extra exclusive features on it, then i think the quality of ipod/iphone games will rise to that of the ds/psp level. for now, there's no competition.

although, you can't deny that the iphone/touch is really making a stir in the gaming community.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Juheti Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:36 am

lololol imagine if they called it the iBone hahahahahah
Juheti
Juheti
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:12 am

Juheti wrote:lololol imagine if they called it the iBone hahahahahah
It does look like one so they should. Or, they could change the shape thus effectively destorying our fun like most other "We care for you but you do what we tell you to" companies.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Controllers like that are just silly, if you ask me. An iPhone/iPod touch is a unique gaming platform for two reasons:

1) touch screen.

2) Accelerometer and magnetometer
(The magnetometer is in that newfangled iPhone 3GS... it's a digital compass basically for detecting which way your phone is facing. Picture turning your whole body left in a 1st person shooter and your character's view turns to match yours... that's what it does.)

A separate gaming controller negates both of these two unique things. It'd be like replacing your Wii-mote with a classic Nintendo controller. What the hell is the point, and why on earth would you want to do that?

I have an iPhone 3G and I love the games that make good use of the accelerometer instead of relying on 90's style D-Pads. It's time to move into the 21st century, people. Some great examples of these are driving games, where the whole phone acts like your steering wheel, or flying games where it's your joystick. It works FAMOUSLY for some of the flight sim style games I have. Just bought a new jet combat game the other day, in fact.

As far as iPhone/iPod touch games rising to that of the PSP level with a controller... well I already covered the stupidity of making separate controllers for an accelerometer/magnetometer-based handheld... and I say there already are a few popular titles put out by well-known gaming companies that already rival PSP games. Obviously there's a lot of iPhone games that don't even come close, but so what? That awesome combat flight sim game I just bought has 30 standard missions plus full online multiplayer and also bluetooth multiplayer for when you've got a little group of friends together. It currently holds the number 7 spot for the top paid apps in the entire iTunes app store, has been getting raving reviews from all the top gaming sites, and I'd say is an example of one of the higher quality games that competes well with PSP-style games. Only difference is, it was 4 bucks, not 40.

Watch the demo, tell me how it compares to PSP graphics (I've never had a PSP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCckZ8eWP8k&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsgn.com%2Ffast%2Findex.php&feature=player_embedded

Edit/Added thought: Also, and this is something that no other handheld gaming device can say: That game is not the final version even though it's for sale now. Updates and new levels are constantly being pushed to games in the app store. I have one where the devs have promised and have delivered one new level once a week since it was launched. Cost me a buck. But back to that combat sim game... this is basically a hype release to get ready for an all-out war release, or so they say. The thing is, this new "at war" version they're talking about won't be released as a whole new game, or even an expansion pack. It'll be a free update to the game I just bought. It's like buying a game once (for 4 dollars, mind you), then getting every single expansion pack, bonus-mission pack, added levels pack, etc.. as free updates for the life of the handheld. Does your PSP do that?

Whole point is, this little sucker's got a lot of unique things about it. Even if games which are actually on par with PSP-style games are the minority in the app store, companies like Sony are scared to death of Apple marketing the iPod Touch as a gaming device because it does so much more than just gaming, the games are cheap and incredibly easy to get, and there are some that are real high quality winners. Or, buy an iPhone and get the same games and all the iPod stuff plus a phone plus internet wherever you go Razz

And one final note: AT&T SUCKS!!! Worst f'ing cell carrier on earth.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm

AT&T is an epic fail. Apple's new auspicious direction toward 21st century capabilities has indeed dithered the traditional egocentric praxis of their rival companies. I mean, take a look at the new PSP Go! They decided to rid of their UMD AND analog sticks! Have a look Razz
iPhone Gaming Controller? Press-sony-psp-go-3
Nintendo released their new DS Lite not too long ago, and that clearly must have sparked some competition between Sony and Nintendo for who has the most features with the least amount of buttons. I guess that everybody just likes to copy Apple nowadays right? There's a good jokes I tell my friends sometimes when we talk about sh*t like this; I say "Most people believe that if it isnt't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet." My point is that companies will keep innovating to the point of frustration, but as we all know, only the strongest survive the war. Apple's hardware, software, and strength in these wars makes me want to throw away my old 2nd gen iPod Nano/iHome for a brand new iTouch. Do I really want to have a video game-player in which I must buy everything from a wireless store that also limits me to using programs it invents? Or do I want a multi-functional music player, phone, gamin-player, developer-friendly OS, and internet-capable device that out-performs others in almost everything?

Last edited by Theicecreaman on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Theicecreaman wrote:AT&T is an epic fail. Apple's new auspicious direction toward 21st century capabilities has indeed dithered the traditional egocentric praxis of their rival companies. I mean, take a look at the new PSP Go! They decided to rid of their UMD AND analog sticks! Have a look Razz
that is where you are wrong
iPhone Gaming Controller? Psp-go-open
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PaidByDeath Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:13 am

Well all good opinions there. Personally I have no intention buying a PSP, I don't see much point to be honest. As for how the Apple corperation is concerned, they are the backbone of the Industry, more and more imatations from rival companies are copying the stucture of the Operating system of Macintosh.

They do well in some cases but the original is still the best in my books. It's almost like you could call it an Oximoron saying a 'Unique copy' (for those who may not know what that term means it's taking something and condricting it, such as saying 'new old', I hope that makes sense) my point Is that you could buy a cheap computer or what not and it could look like a good deal but because of shotty parts It may have a low life span. So really it's best to pay that little more ammount of money for something that wont crash on you.

This is a little off topic but I hope you understand my analogy anyway.

PaidByDeath
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:07 am

yeah I get it. Ah I didn't know about that time, it stills looks lame to me.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Lame. Two Thumbs Down Thumbs Down . Epic fail at creating a "unique copy". Joystick
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:Lame. Two Thumbs Down Thumbs Down . Epic fail at creating a "unique copy". Joystick

It's like that saying "New & improved"

WTF!? How can it be new, yet improved?
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by time Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:45 pm

psp go looks like crap in my opinion

plus its 250 dollars
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by X Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Man, agreed with Wonko. GameBone looks retarded.

X
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugenhagen Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:
And one final note: AT&T SUCKS!!! Worst f'ing cell carrier on earth.

FINALLY! VERIZON ALL THE WAY!
Bugenhagen
Bugenhagen
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 1015

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by PaidByDeath Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:14 pm

For one thing it's like many things you buy, they say "ohh this is the top notch" the next week or so something better is out and people go nuts and need the latest trend, after that it continues and they keep on buying, it's a marketing tactic companies use to make money , they make people think that they are getting the better and the best when really If you are happy with what you have there is no point in listening to consumer manipulation.

PaidByDeath
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Agree with you Someone.

Paid, something better will always come out, and that isn't going to change any time soon. The cycle of new products coming out every year started in the 1950s for us Americans in the times of conformity (not much different today). Products were designed, and still are, for one reason and one reason only; To eventually become depreciated and replaced by a newer version a year later. The best example of this is with cars; Cars "innovate" their features every year and invoke you to buy their latest model even though you don't need it. Companies bring about their propaganda and cause you to think about buying something you probably have. Something you probably have six of. Something you'll never use but to show off to your friends. There's nothing wrong with that, but some people need to know their limits. Even apple is infamous for their chain of iPods that make you want to keep buying the next model. The way I see it, Microsoft and other competitors of Apple like Sony simple fail at that when it comes to this part of electronics. They try to expand their domains when they don't realize that Apple already owns that part of the house.

I'll stop writing long posts now lol.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by PaidByDeath Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm

I agree with you Ice. For example I was amazed when the Playstation 2 came out, everyone rushed to buy it, the wierd thing was they also released the PS1 (smaller new model) and people who already had a Playstation original still bought one, thats ok If their last PS didn't work anymore but, seeing alot of people where purchasing PS2 which can play PS1 games, I really think thats just a waste of money having both.

PaidByDeath
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down