Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The *awesome* future of online gaming...

+3
Cap'nJackSparrow
Wonko the Sane
Theicecreaman
7 posters

Go down

The *awesome* future of online gaming... Empty The *awesome* future of online gaming...

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm

...You have to pay unless you bought the game brand-spankin' new!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6328508.html?tag=newsticker%3Bheadline%3B1

(in which case you still have to unlock the game using a one-time code)

So first games were relatively cheap until they became 50 bucks for new-ness. Then, it was 60. THEN, it was 60, but you have to pay for every single DLC content we release and for basic things which we did not include in the actual game (aka the Broken Steel DLC in Fallout 3 which continues the main quest because you freggin' die at the end). NOW, you have to pay for the online too! Oh, hey, you wanna let your friend borrow the game for a week or two? TOO BAD. Or, alternatively, you want to bring a new game to somebody else's PS3 and just be able to slap the game into the slot and get right into playing without having to sign into your own account? TOO BAD. We all know you're actually playing a used version of the game and therefore have to pay.

They're mad, I tell you, MAD!!! Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Taping Toe

I mean, for this game they're blocking off some single player parts, but it's still silly. Oblivion
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The *awesome* future of online gaming... Empty Re: The *awesome* future of online gaming...

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 pm

That's the benefit of PC gaming. Those kinds of shady business practices get cracked in the software within days of release so you don't have to put up with that kind of nonsense.

The measures they're putting in place to try to prevent piracy only cause more of it. But, according to that article, they're not even going after pirates, they're trying to prevent used game sales?! Seriously?!?!
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

The *awesome* future of online gaming... Empty Re: The *awesome* future of online gaming...

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Mmm. They make less money from used sales.
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:The measures they're putting in place to try to prevent piracy only cause more of it. But, according to that article, they're not even going after pirates, they're trying to prevent used game sales?! Seriously?!?!

Dev's lose more money off of used games sales than pirating by far, especially since there are so many superstore giants into the used market. One can almost see the rationale for their changing practices: if they want to turn a profit and make video games a business sustaining venture, they have to change their practices to compensate when a large portion of the market is sales they don't see a cent of. It's this reason I buy new when I can-- I know my actions won't change the system, but it feels good knowing that my business is going to the industry that has been nothing but good to me for most of my life Smile

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 pm

KaiStagon wrote:
Wonko the Sane wrote:The measures they're putting in place to try to prevent piracy only cause more of it. But, according to that article, they're not even going after pirates, they're trying to prevent used game sales?! Seriously?!?!

Dev's lose more money off of used games sales than pirating by far, especially since there are so many superstore giants into the used market. One can almost see the rationale for their changing practices: if they want to turn a profit and make video games a business sustaining venture, they have to change their practices to compensate when a large portion of the market is sales they don't see a cent of. It's this reason I buy new when I can-- I know my actions won't change the system, but it feels good knowing that my business is going to the industry that has been nothing but good to me for most of my life Smile
I do the exact opposite; I wait for people to put up their games on Amazon for half the sale price. Dizzy

Their rationale does indeed make sense (more so than the having-to-be-online-to-play-the-game's-singleplayer), but we all know what happens when you give a mouse a cookie--it tells the other mice that a cookie-serving vendor is in the house and you end up calling the exterminator after the fact. In other words, people will rationalize that this practice makes sense, but once things get out of hand with every company doing the same, people will end up complaining. Willy Nilly
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 am

Cap'nJackSparrow wrote:Mmm. They make less money from used sales.
Devs make no money from used game sales. I can approve of this for used sales but only if the game is worth it to begin with... which they never are...
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 am

Ah Steam. Lovely, lovely Steam and its sales.
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimlore Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 am

This is why I don't care about non-Fallout games...except for Elder Scrolls. Razz

soon I get my PC it's JKA/JK2, and TF2 aplenty! Cookie Monster Oreo Cookie

Grimlore
Grimlore

Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm still waiting for this free portal 2 dlc we were promised...
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:30 pm

blivvy wrote:I'm still waiting for this free portal 2 dlc we were promised...

Hey yeah! I forgot about that...

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down