Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed)

+15
Dark'Hunter
Bugenhagen
Sniper
Da Llama
BULWA
Cap'nJackSparrow
KaiStagon
Wonko the Sane
Link
Theicecreaman
Loki
blivvy
MysticLlama
Tasmann
DarkThunder
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 Empty Re: Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed)

Post by MysticLlama Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:13 pm

I could help too! We can make a four way!

Link, you're just mad you're not in it.

MysticLlama
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 19

http://purplevinegar.com

Back to top Go down

Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 Empty Re: Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed)

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Well then, I hereby declare this the official School of Cake map thread. Get a move on! Driving
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Lol forum lurk... Lurking
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm

I must find another lurk emoticon...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasmann Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:03 pm

:O FORUM LURKING IS MY JOB!!! Mad
Tasmann
Tasmann
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Map will be started... Erm... Whenever!

lol, no I'll get a move on and start some stuff soon. Maybe not this week, but definately next.

That means: LET'S GET TO WORK GUYS! WE'VE GOT A MAP TO fluck UP!
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Map will be started... Erm... Whenever!

lol, no I'll get a move on and start some stuff soon. Maybe not this week, but definately next.

That means: LET'S GET TO WORK GUYS! WE'VE GOT A MAP TO fluck UP!
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:50 pm

We need to decide on whos doing what. I'm not good at all that secrets stuff so someone else could do that.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasmann Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

The only thing that im good for is ideas for what to put into the map geek
Tasmann
Tasmann
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BULWA Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm

CrazY! wrote:secrets
Guess who? Laughing
BULWA
BULWA
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 pm

<lurks> Uhm hay gurlz hay i can has map team tooo?
I've been experimenting with a few shaders/textures and I've come up with a really neat skybox effect which could be good for a laid back map which fits the bill for a "school of cake." I've been daydreaming about pinkish liquid (a la planet unicorn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQJD1ura7G4 ) for a water shader and waterfall combo.

I was thinking about "milking" the sweets theme for all its worth with giant cow udders which secrete milk, which i think would be a hysterically awesome aesthetic. I also have conceptualized a spawn area layout, if you're interested Very Happy Very Happy

I also have a very,very,very,very,very extensive texture library.

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Your hired Kai!
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasmann Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Well im gonna go ahead and list my ideas for the map.

1. 4 Tele spots near the spawn point to the pie, cookie, marshmallow, and candy academies.

2. Each Academy will have a training room a kitchen a pool room and spa and a headmaster's office with his private spa and a classroom in each one and on the chalkboards will be written 1 golden rule for each academy like for instance Cookie academy would have Golden rule: Cookies rule.

3. The main area would kind of be like tmbj there would be a pool, bar, tournament area.... and anything else you guys can come up with geek

*NEW* 4. And of course...... secrets. geek

WE STILL NEED A NAME THINK ABOUT 1 CRAZY!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Sad Sad
Tasmann
Tasmann
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:31 am

Agreed. Oh, and Kai, seconded on being hired. Willkommen!
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:33 am

As I said on a different topic, Bulwa is no longer on your team. Hire Tas instead
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:44 am

You heard the boss Tas, YOU'RE HIRED!
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasmann Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am

Yay! So...............................Who's gonna work on what exactly?

In any case I'd better study up on mapping with gtkradiant either 1.4 or 1.5

If you find any tutorials post them here Anything would be appreciated Smile

Especially a Cookie! Smile

Last edited by Tasmann on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tasmann
Tasmann
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Tasmann wrote:Yay! So...............................Who's gonna work on what exactly?

In any case I'd better study up on mapping with gtkradiant either 1.4 or 1.5

If you find any post them here Anything would be appreciated Smile

Especially a Cookie! Smile

If you find any what?

Anyway, here's a veryveryveryvery rough sketch of what i had in mind. My MS paint skills are a bit... erm. Bad. It sort of takes a big stretch of the imagination to see what i'm talking about here, and I'm probably likely to change my mind a bit. NOTE: THE IMAGE IS BIG. RIGHT CLICK AND THEN SELECT "VIEW IMAGE" IF IT DOESN'T SHOW UP IN FULL ON YOUR SCREEN Very Happy
Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 Schoolocake
Let me try to talk you through this. Basically there's a winding cobble-stone path (with chunks of sweets instead of cobble stones, of course) which is surrounded by a mountainous enclosure. The mountains should definitely NOT be rocks, we should come up with like some chocolate-chip texture or something instead. On one side of the path, there is a pink river which has its own waterfall. Perhaps we could obscure a cavern behind the waterfall?
In the center there's a large hill. This hill separates the map into VIS zones. By isolating segments of the map and keeping others from being drawn, we can keep FPS manageable. The hill can be adorned with gingerbread houses too!
both paths converge at the entrance of a giant building mapped to resemble a large birthday cake. I drew three layers, which strikes me as a pretty reasonable number. What to actually put inside the cake-building puzzles me. We could make it castle themed, sci-fi themed, whatever-- We just have to refrain from using any really serious textures here, particularly those which are found in the base assets. Otherwise we could severely sacrifice the laid back and fun theme.

Anyway, this is just the spawn area. I'll probably end up changing it a lot, but this is just my initial conception. Tell me what you think! Tomorrow is my first day off of school for spring break, and since I'm a senior who already got into college, I'm not going to be doing any sh*t in school once I get back anyway. I can probably start putting some serious time into this.

I'm trying to read up on the "target_give" effect, which is supposed to give players weapons or health. I have never gotten this entity to work properly for me though. I think making the river heal the player would be a really interesting effect.

Oh a note about the textures-- I really have to advise that we use cartoony textures. I'm not so good at making textures myself, most of what I have were made by friends or taken from stock sites. I'm shooting for a style sort of like what I played with in an experimental mario map I made a few years back:
Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 Shot0013

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:26 pm

I agree. Cartoony textures are best for this type of map. I was thinking of doing the layout myself then passing on the .map to the next person. Anyone for that?
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 am

Nice ideas. I want nothing to do with texturing XD. I like building stuff tho and using entities in dif ways. Also, I like adding secrets.

Here's sum ideas I had:

• cookie/mallow platforms
  • candycane bridges and poles to jump around on
  • a pie duel pad
  • a slide that goes down into icecreamland :p
  • sum1 could build a brush that looks like wonko's avatar and make it rotate for wonko's world
  • and last but not least the secrets*** (they wont be revealed tho)
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 am

Agreement on all front here!

Crazy, do a layout, then we all take a copy, add bits, pool together the best bits, and have an earth-shatteringly good map.

Whose with me?

P.S. Kai, as many cartooney texes as possible, agreemento.
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasmann Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:50 am

Maybe we should also add an............ asylum..............with white padded cells...................XD
Tasmann
Tasmann
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Some more ideas here.

Maybe we could have areas representing each of the academies. Like for the marshmallow area, we could have a volcano erupting hot chocolate with large marshmallows floating...

As for secret areas, I have a few unfinished maps which weren't too big or too small and could be interesting additions. I just need to locate a few of my backup discs and I can show you some ideas.

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Alright, I located my 2007 backup disc. This is an old version, and it looks like i've misplaced a few textures. However, I could easily remake them or replace them with others. This area is not particularly cake related at all, but its cartoony theme could easily qualify it as a hidden area. The purple/pinkish boxes are spawn points which are the size of the player, so you can see that this is a medium sized zone.

Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 Schoolocake2

Yeahyeahyeah, I feel like a one trick pony- I must have attempted about 5 different mario maps. This one is based on the world overview of the SNES game Super Mario World. Source:
Official School of Cake Map Thread (Renamed) - Page 2 World-map-cross-stitch1

Perhaps we could hide a pipe somewhere which takes you here? If you guys think this is too off topic for the map, I can scrap it Very Happy

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Secret pipe hidden away somewhere in a dark corner that totally doesn't match the rest of the map but is so obviously a mario tube. Thumbs Up

I like it.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next