Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Game Releases

+14
BuZz
Sidious
makcim
masterchief
time
Link
Trey
Grimlore
KaiStagon
Bugenhagen
Cap'nJackSparrow
Lucario*)WoN(~Donuts~
Da Llama
Loki
18 posters

Page 6 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

New Game Releases - Page 6 Empty Re: New Game Releases

Post by Loki Sat May 21, 2011 5:52 am

I hope your internet doesn't drop every 10 minutes or you'll have a fun time playing SC:C Rolling Eyes

Gotta love that DRM...

Publishers/Developers need to get it into their thick skulls that they can never stop pirates. Games will be cracked. Games will be played properly without having being paid for. Their DRM does nothing except delay the inevitable.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Sat May 21, 2011 11:38 am

I was going to get Conviction but then I heard it wasn't really like a SC game anymore so no thx.

I played Double Agent on ps2 and that was really good. It had a sp campaign, co-op & mp. So yea, that's just one example of how some older games were better than the newer stuff.
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat May 21, 2011 11:52 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Honestly, though, I can't wait for this whole "modern combat" phase to wear off..
I know, right? It was fun at first, but now....ugh. I really want to see another Medal of Honor game where you can just disguise yourself as a German officer and go around sabotaging sh*t behind enemy lines. Tip Hat
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat May 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Loki wrote:I hope your internet doesn't drop every 10 minutes or you'll have a fun time playing SC:C Rolling Eyes

Gotta love that DRM...

Publishers/Developers need to get it into their thick skulls that they can never stop pirates. Games will be cracked. Games will be played properly without having being paid for. Their DRM does nothing except delay the inevitable.

I read about that before deciding whether or not to buy it. Soon as I saw that people who bought the game legitimately were having a hard time actually playing it because the crappy DRM they put in there requires you to connect to their servers to play..... yeah, no thanks jerks.

I would have bought it otherwise. I would have preferred to, really. But that'd be like buying a box of matches that you know were soaked in water at the manufacturing plant because they're afraid you're going to burn a building down with them.

...wait, what? confused

blivvy wrote:I was going to get Conviction but then I heard it wasn't really like a SC game anymore so no thx.

Yeah, I played the first Splinter Cell and it was great. From what I've seen, this new one has a bit more action in it... meaning you have less time when you're sneaking around in the shadows. You have to be quick and stealthy about it. Honestly, I think that might add a bit of realism to it, though I really liked the way the first game was so casual because you could take your time. This one might get a bit intense if you have to do the same stuff but quicker. I'm gonna fire it up later today so I'll let you know how it is.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Sat May 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hey Wonko, sorry it's taken me a while to get back.

Borderlands isn't too old, and it may be something different, but it's fun. Main storyline lasted about 25 hours (though I did literally every side mission available pretty much), and I haven't really looked at the DLC yet.

Even if you don't want this for your dad, I'd suggest others try it.
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat May 21, 2011 4:59 pm

I recommend everybody, including Wonko, play this game, but it is only for the most hardcore of the hardcore. Joystick
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Great, I wasted a whole day yesterday playing that game thanks to you. It's a giant time suck!!

...actually I was playing Splinter Cell Razz Which I really like, by the way. When everyone says the stealth was taken out and the game is completely different, what they actually mean is it was changed to fit the story. Essentially, it's still all about stealth but in every mission the bad guys know you're coming and are expecting you, so there's really no reason to hide bodies in closets and stuff like that. You drop down from the shadows, dispatch them, then silently disappear again.

All the usual stealth gadgets are there, and you can probably get through every mission without being seen if you're really good. But even if you do get seen, you don't have to restore your savegame and try again like you used to have to...

Example of the gameplay:

Chillin' out on a ledge for no reason and this bad guy happens to stroll by the window I'm under. I figure, welllp since he's a bad guy and all I might as well pull him out the window. So I do. He drops three stories to his death. Buuuut the other guy in the room sorta saw me do that, and he comes rushing at the window, so I quickly slip around the corner of the building, slip in through another window, grab the fool from behind and throw him out the window to meet his buddy. Couple guys in the other room hear the commotion and come to investigate, so I fire off my portable EMP generator which kills all lights and electronics and confuses the crap out of them. Slip on my goggles, snap, crack, pew pew. Goodbye. Slip into the next room to make sure there's no more, and I see a group of other baddies running up the stairs to my position. So I shoot the chandelier at the top of the stairs, which comes crashing down on them, double goodbye. Of course, that attracts a lot of attention and soon their buddies come running in all "sh*t sh*t sh*t!! It's him! It's Fisher we're all gonna die man!! One time I was at this monument and he killed fifty men an nobody saw him!! We're so dead!! Well I was at this other place and he killed a hundred men!! Shut up you and go check out the area! Find him and kill him!!! (pssst... I saw him kill two hundred men..)" While they split up and are checking out the area discussing how I'm going to kill them, I sit in wait and take them out two at a time. 'cause only noobs would take them out one at a time.

So it's a different flavor of stealth, but definitely still Splinter Cell.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun May 22, 2011 8:19 pm

It sucks they didn't make it for the PS3 Sad

Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon May 23, 2011 2:23 am

Reporting back after finishing the game (twice). Games these days just keep getting shorter and shorter. I remember the first Splinter Cell taking a lot longer to complete, probably mostly because of the stealth requirement. Then again, I have been playing it almost nonstop for two days straight. Probably put in a good 22 hours total.

So, the first time through was pretty much what I described above. I took my time and played it like Splinter Cell. I tried to be as stealthy as possible. The thing I realized second time around is that stealth isn't required like it was in the earlier games. Like I said, it's okay if you get seen. So feel free to lob a grenade or two. Or three. Which is what I ended up doing the second time around and I finished in half the time.

I imagine that's how most people end up playing it once they realize you don't have to be stealthy. If you want it to be Splinter Cell, you have to exercise some self control and play it like Splinter Cell.

So, Blivvy, I'd recommend it. It's a good game, but only if you have the patience to play it like a Splinter Cell game and not use your grenades. Then it just turns into every other war game, plus shadows.

I think it's kind of neat that they let you lob grenades if you want to though. Basically, you're a badass spy and can do whatever you want. It's your choice how you play the game. Probably gonna grab Double Agent and play that through next to compare it to, since it's been a while since I've played the original Splinter Cell. Need a refresher of what it's like.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon May 23, 2011 5:06 am

Cool I'll check it out after I've finished Cyrsis 2. Which is totally awesome btw. It's kinda like a mixture of COD & Halo Smile
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Double Agent is more like the original. I have that one on the PS2. Breaking out of jail was awesome.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:20 am

Gameplay from the new Tomb Raider game which I think they said was coming out around the end of 2012. Looks very similar to Uncharted lol.

I shall be getting it. <3 Lara.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Doesn't look like Lara at all, they made her so young! She looks like a freggin' teenager.

I hate the current trend in movies, tv, and apparently now games too of making the protagonist as young as possible. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it drives me nuts when these people are younger than I am.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Yea this game shows how Lara became the kick ass tomb raider we all know and love. Shes like 21 or something and this is her very first adventure. Seems it's gonna be mostly about survival so it will prob have some of the same elements as MGS 3.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

So, Duke Nukem Forever was released today in europe. I watched TotalBiscuits "WTF is" on it and honestly, I agree with everything he said. It's a terrible game. Regenerating health, hints and linear levels... Not very Duke at all. Anyone bought it? I sure won't be a buyer.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 pm

I was planning on buying it but I have heard a lot of negative stuff about it like graphics aren't the best, gameplay is average, long load times, humor is terrible and that it just felt outdated.

Will prob try it out for myself sometime cause u can't always rely on other peoples reviews.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:40 pm

You would think it would be better after 15 years of working on it...
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:Doesn't look like Lara at all, they made her so young! She looks like a freggin' teenager.

I don't know, I think I disagree a little bit. I really like how they've changed her character model to be more of a person and less of a pair of boobs. As for the age, it's supposed to be an origin story- and I think her look reflects a mid-20 year old.

Watching the video Loki posted now... really bummed. I thought Duke was going to be great :C

Edit: finished watching the video. At several points, the narrator says that Bulletstorm succeeded in many areas where Forever failed-- I think this says a lot, especially keeping in mind the fact that Bulletstorm took about a day to complete and was really only good for one run through. Bummer, but I'm sure there will be plenty of other games in the coming seasons to make up for this loss.

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Did anybody see the trailer for this game? http://www.rage.com/

The E3 one is on the website, along with the previously released ones. It looks incredible.

Not sure if somebody posted this already...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Yea I'm getting Rage the day it comes out. Kinda reminds me of another fps set in the wasteland...
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:35 pm

I could'a sworn that I saw a super mutant on one of those videos Razz I just hope it is open world, not open-level like in BioShock where you basically progress from level to level, but the levels are pretty big and you can explore them to your heart's content before progressing.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:18 pm

KaiStagon wrote:I don't know, I think I disagree a little bit. I really like how they've changed her character model to be more of a person and less of a pair of boobs. As for the age, it's supposed to be an origin story- and I think her look reflects a mid-20 year old.

I was referring to her face. And I just don't see any resemblance to the older Lara Croft from the other games. They changed her too much. I mean, look for yourself:

Two classic versions of her character:
New Game Releases - Page 6 Twolaras
vs her new look:
New Game Releases - Page 6 Lara_face

I wouldn't even know they were the same character. The nose is entirely different, so is the chin, the eyes, her brow... unless she had her entire face bashed in and reconstructed at some point, I'm not seeing it. But that's just me.

Now don't get me wrong, that trailer looks amazing. I just think she's the victim of way too much hollywood plastic surgery.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Good point!

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Here's an example of modernizing and updating the graphics on a character without making them looking like someone entirely different. Guess who:

New Game Releases - Page 6 Sam_Fisher_SCC

This is what he used to look like back in the day:

New Game Releases - Page 6 Sam%20Fisher%20Pandora%20Tomorrow

Same person!! 6-7 years between game releases. Roughly the same amount of time as the newer Tomb Raider shots above.

Also, just for fun:
New Game Releases - Page 6 Sam_fi10
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content