Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chrome Extensions

4 posters

Go down

Chrome Extensions Empty Chrome Extensions

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Google Chrome now has extensions. Click here to download Chrome, a fast and free browser by Google, and update to the beta version. Here is the link to the extensions page: https://chrome.google.com/extensions

The beta version is better because new engines for javascript and html5 are put in there faster than the normal version. I think there is a version for Macs too if you search the Google website
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chrome Extensions Empty Re: Chrome Extensions

Post by Loki Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 pm

I'll wait till it comes out of beta. This is good though. Chrome uses far less memory than firefox (& I only use that to block stuff.) I'll be switching to Chrome after beta Very Happy
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm

you misunderstand, Chrome will always be beta. There are three versions of chrome: developer, beta, and normal. The developer one is unstable, but the programmers working on it make cool stuff which then goes to beta. If people like it, (which people always do) it goes to the normal version. Download it now son! It is 10 times faster than IE8
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Google products never, ever leave beta status. Ever.

Ever.

Also: http://chromeplus.org/
Built from Chrome's source code and kept up to date with the latest and greatest, but it also has a built in adblocker that really blocks ads from loading, unlike some of the so-called adblock extensions for Chrome which only hide the ads after they load. Google obviously won't let people block ads in their browser because that's how they make all their money.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 am

hmm extensions eh? kinda reminds of add-ons from another browser... Razz

I just dl'd chrome beta and have added some handy extensions. I liked using firefox cause of its add-ons and its faster than ie, but chrome beta beats them both hands down.

Thumbs Up
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:but it also has a built in adblocker that really blocks ads from loading
Chrome Extensions Adbloc10
I'm just loving this adblocker. Best ever.

Still, it's much much faster than FX will ever be on this PC.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 pm

... Stupid question but .... did you turn it on?

.. Oh, you forgot? That's okay, we can't all be smart people. Wink
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:59 pm

I uninstalled it anyway. Shortly after installation, memory problems crawled in. Explorer kept shutting down, I couldn't open said browser after. So...yeah...won't be using that sh*t again.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

download the REAL google chrome. The adblocker works fine even if the ads load first.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Loki wrote:I uninstalled it anyway. Shortly after installation, memory problems crawled in. Explorer kept shutting down, I couldn't open said browser after. So...yeah...won't be using that sh*t again.

So let me get this straight.. you're blaming Google because Microsoft Internet Explorer crashes? 2+2=green?! what! Dizzy

The simple fact that you still use Internet Explorer automatically discounts any opinion you have about anything regarding technology for the next year and a half, at which point we will re-evaluate your worth to the technological community and reassess your potential future with us. Thank you, come again. Napoleon

And Ice, ChromePlus IS Chrome, with two or three extra features added in. It gets built off the same source code and is updated regularly. Using Google Chrome's adblock extension makes sites take longer to load because they have to download all those advertising images, flash ads, and so on. The whole reason to use an adblocker is to prevent them from loading in the first place so you get your site faster. It's not about hiding ads. Any two year old with a sharpie can do that.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:52 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Loki wrote:I uninstalled it anyway. Shortly after installation, memory problems crawled in. Explorer kept shutting down, I couldn't open said browser after. So...yeah...won't be using that sh*t again.

So let me get this straight.. you're blaming Google because Microsoft Internet Explorer crashes? 2+2=green?! what! Dizzy

The simple fact that you still use Internet Explorer automatically discounts any opinion you have about anything regarding technology for the next year and a half, at which point we will re-evaluate your worth to the technological community and reassess your potential future with us. Thank you, come again. Napoleon

Check your task manager. Explorer is the bar across the bottom. Ye'know, that thing that basically keeps that session on the PC running? If it disappears, what you can do is crippled without it?

Lol @ the thought of me using IE. Used it twice. Once to download FX & the 2nd to access my college stuff since FX failed at that too.

Don't assume. If I meant IE, I would've said IE.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:16 am

Every1 knows that ie is only used to download other browsers Very Happy
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 am

blivvy wrote:Every1 knows that ie is only used to download other browsers Very Happy

Laughing Apparently Ice didn't know that until I force fed him Chrome.... Rolling Eyes

But hey, Crazy, if you're having Explorer issues that's hardly Chrome's fault in any case. I'd get your system checked out. Reason I assumed you meant IE is because Chrome doesn't integrate itself into Windows at all, unlike IE, which basically IS Explorer. The two have been one in the same since Windows 95. When you launch Explorer, you're launching a re-skinned IE that browses your computer files instead of the Internet. That's why it's never been possible to fully uninstall IE.

Chrome doesn't even put itself in your context menus. Google's generally very good about creating unintrusive software. Still makes no sense to blame Google for Microsoft's screw-ups.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:38 pm

I thought that Internet Explorer was the fastest browser until Wonko coerced me into downloading Chrome. Actually, I never really trusted anything non-Microsoft until I started hanging out here because most of my friends and family use Microsoft products only. I actually have a relative who was one of the original employees of Microsoft when it started to become big.

.... I actually thought having random glitches and crashes were just a part of everyday computing....
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Theicecreaman wrote:.... I actually thought having random glitches and crashes were just a part of everyday computing....

Microsoft pulled a fast one over everyone on the planet. They're very good at doing this. They make us think we need their crap and have no other options but to buy their crap, so we do. Thank goodness for companies like Google and Apple lighting the way to alternative technologies that actually work and are easy to use.

Gmail vs msn, anyone?
Google search vs msn search?
Chrome vs IE?
iPod vs Zune?
Mac vs Windows?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:Gmail vs msn, anyone?
I use both.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Google search vs msn search?
Yahoo.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Chrome vs IE?
Firefox.
Wonko the Sane wrote:iPod vs Zune?
Screw those. VLC Media player ftw.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Mac vs Windows?
Never used Mac so I'm not going to listen to others opinions about it till I eventually try it myself.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:Gmail vs msn, anyone?
Yahoo.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Google search vs msn search?
Google.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Chrome vs IE?
Chrome.
Wonko the Sane wrote:iPod vs Zune?
Neither. I use a Philips GoGear.
Wonko the Sane wrote:Mac vs Windows?
Never used Mac either so I guess Windows for now.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Theicecreaman wrote:.... I actually thought having random glitches and crashes were just a part of everyday computing....

Microsoft pulled a fast one over everyone on the planet. They're very good at doing this. They make us think we need their crap and have no other options but to buy their crap, so we do. Thank goodness for companies like Google and Apple lighting the way to alternative technologies that actually work and are easy to use.

Gmail vs msn, anyone?
Google search vs msn search?
Chrome vs IE?
iPod vs Zune?
Mac vs Windows?
I use MSN, but I am considering switching to Google because I think the messenger interface is clunky.
Google search is better
iPod owns
Macs are probably better
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Firefox was awesome until about a year ago. The past year, though, it's gotten bloated, slow, and riddled with bugs and crashes.

It uses tons of memory, and has totally gotten away from its roots as a standards-compliant browser. It's now just as bad as IE as far as complying with web standards, instead they just make up their own and expect web designers to custom tailor their sites to work with Firefox. I have a friend who owns a web design company and now he has to make three versions of his sites, one for IE, one for Firefox, and one for every other browser that actually plays by the rules, instead of just two versions.

Firefox sucks now. Chrome, Safari 4, or any other new browser is the way to go. They're faster (google the benchmarks, they're like 10x faster), and more stable (Chrome has separate processes for each tab so if one crashes, the rest stay open).

I'll never understand how anyone can choose to use yahoo or msn's mail over gmail these days. They're so antiquated, slow, and riddled with ads. Clunky interfaces... come on, people, this is the 21st century here.

Oh, and Loki, VLC doesn't make a player like an iPod. VLC is just a piece of software Razz What do you use to carry your music around with you?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:Oh, and Loki, VLC doesn't make a player like an iPod. VLC is just a piece of software Razz What do you use to carry your music around with you?
Yeah, I realised that after I posted but was just to lazy to change it Razz

Umm, I rarely listen to music out & about but it's a cheap thing from ASDA. Bought it 3 years ago and it's never broke or told me to update. Plays videos too but no point in trying to watch something in a 1.5 inch screen. Laughing
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Once I get some time, I am switching right to Gmail Smile I remember back in the day, way when most of the people on the forum were young, Hotmail was not only dominant, but it didn't attack ads to the end of every email you send out. (now I get people asking me why I have links to the dumbest sites attached to my emails).
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down