Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XP vs VISTA

+8
Oram
Juheti
UNO
Da Llama
Theicecreaman
Wonko the Sane
Loki
PaidByDeath
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

XP vs VISTA - Page 2 Empty Re: XP vs VISTA

Post by UNO Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 am

Face/// wrote:¬_¬

First off, Microsoft basically treats its users like 5 year olds when it comes to Vista. Trying too hard to make it easy screws it up. Unless you start off with a Vista (which probably means you got your first computer) then you are going to have one heck of a time finding crap. It has TONS of trouble with file management and actually running programs themselves. For example, GTK Radiant versions 1.4 and 1.5 (I still strongly advise 1.4) will hardly run on Vista, because of some desktop styling things, and you gotta run it as an administrator. Even messing with JK2 screws Vista up. Ever tried to make a pk3?
well I dunno about you and your stories but I've been running jk2 for over a year with NO problems... and I have also been skinning for the same amount of time which means making pk3's,unless I got a secret version of vista >_> it works flawless for me! (the only thing that took me a bit of getting used to was giving administrative power to programs and files which....really isn't that hard.)
UNO
UNO
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Thu May 21, 2009 12:31 pm

2 computers... XP for game running, and Vista for work...

Works perfectly... Seriously, Vista is as sh*t as hell with gaming, but with normal work, e.g. document writing, it's fine.
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Da Llama wrote:XP is Fine, It's hard to play JK2 with it. I kept on losing my connection and having to restart my PC, And it used to freeze up and wouldnt work for another week.

Honestly? My computer owns, and its an XP. Heck, JK2 has NEVER crashed on me and I've NEVER had to restart it because of JK2. About losing connection though, how the heck is that an XP problem? XP isn't a router or a modem or a CAT-5 cable. Internet and XP = they dont really interrelate.
Sniper
Sniper
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Face/// wrote:
Da Llama wrote:XP is Fine, It's hard to play JK2 with it. I kept on losing my connection and having to restart my PC, And it used to freeze up and wouldnt work for another week.
Heck, JK2 has NEVER crashed on me and I've NEVER had to restart it because of JK2.
I stuffed loads of junk like Killtracker, Skins, Maps, Map makers, Skin makers (even though i dunno how to make skins) Stuff like that.
Da Llama
Da Llama
Recovering Spammer (Stage 42)

Number of posts : 1809

http://donutdojo.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper Thu May 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Then get rid of your sh*t. Wink
Sniper
Sniper
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama Thu May 21, 2009 3:47 pm

I did. lol.
Da Llama
Da Llama

Back to top Go down

Post by Oram Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Face/// wrote:¬_¬

First off, Microsoft basically treats its users like 5 year olds when it comes to Vista. Trying too hard to make it easy screws it up. Unless you start off with a Vista (which probably means you got your first computer) then you are going to have one heck of a time finding crap. It has TONS of trouble with file management and actually running programs themselves. For example, GTK Radiant versions 1.4 and 1.5 (I still strongly advise 1.4) will hardly run on Vista, because of some desktop styling things, and you gotta run it as an administrator. Even messing with JK2 screws Vista up. Ever tried to make a pk3?

Vista isn't really user-friendly...I think XP can kick it's shiny backside anyday in usability. And as Juheti (I think) said, making it shiny doesnt fight viruses. Its not like a virus is going to back off from a broad spectrum of light bouncing off the taskbar. Vista also bugs you about every single thing that the computer wants to do, such as running a program. Heck, downloading something will get you called on by Vista's police force. Plus, XP can ward off everything a lot better if you know what to do.

And, Mac is awesome. It just fails epically on the gaming side of things.

If you can deal with the crap Vista just LOVES to dole out, then fine, use it. But if you are impatient and believe your computer should own, then use XP. As a few others said, its mostly the user's choice. I still think XP is better, though.

Sniper you are wrong. JK2 runs fine. GTK radiant runs fine. UAC on windows vista is complete crap, which makes hardly anything work, but you can just turn that off. XP and vista can get the same viruses. Finding stuff on vista is A LOT easier because you can just search for it in about 1 second. Second Mac's suck. Mac's suck because they sell over priced pieces of hardware. There is nothing that Windows can do that mac can't, there is nothing that mac can do that windows cant, there is nothing that linux can do that windows and mac can't. An OS is only as good as its user. I don't see why people like mac's, first of all I find the dock very hard to use, its much easier having a taskbar where you can see what programs you are running. Also in a mac when you press the red quit button on a program, for example firefox, it is still running. Mac's also aren't any faster than windows or linux. You can also customize windows and linux a lot more than you can customize mac's. If you want leopard use Kalyway, itkaos, etc.
Linux>windows>mac Smile
Oram
Oram
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 110

http://www.oram.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaidByDeath Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 am

Wow someone has a carrot up his arse. Not uncommon for loyal PC users though, but you are wrong in a few areas about Mac's. People tend to get afraid of Mac's because it's not what they are used to, and lets face it everyone is afraid of what they don't understand, no matter how big or small the issue is.

Mac's are superior, the quality of the hardware is better and Apple doesn't sell out like IBM does , having 'IBM compadibles' If you bought a genioun IBM rather then some cheap mock up that some Asian or whoever put together with shitty parts you'd realise that you would pay about the same price for a real IBM as you would for a Macintosh. The only difference is Macintosh has never sold out to other corperations to copy their format and structure. IBM did.

By the way If you click close on a program on Mac and it's still open, just press the Apple and Q key.. Not that hard buddy.

I do agree that Vista is not too good with games, thats why I use my Macintosh for playing and my PC's for work,

PaidByDeath
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri May 22, 2009 12:59 am

Oram wrote:Second Mac's suck.

Consumer reports rates Macbooks higher than any other type of laptop on the planet. They received perfect scores in every category except price. No other laptop even comes close to such a perfect score. (The areas where most laptops get less than perfect scores include hardware, performance, durability, ease of use, lifespan, etc).

Oram wrote:Mac's suck because they sell over priced pieces of hardware.

If you tried to build a Windows-based laptop (hell, even a desktop and compare it to the Mac Pro's) with exactly the same specs as a Macbook, you'll find the prices to be very similar. I could quote any number of recently published studies done on this topic which all but destroy the perception that Macs are overpriced compared to PC's, but I'm too lazy and you're not worth the extra effort. Google it yourself if you want proof.

Oram wrote:An OS is only as good as its user.

I'll agree with you there. Each of the OS's you discuss has its virtues and no one single OS is suited for everybody. I'm just picking apart all your Mac insults because they're misguided and misinformed.

Oram wrote:I don't see why people like mac's, first of all I find the dock very hard to use, its much easier having a taskbar where you can see what programs you are running.

Well then you're SOL for Windows 7, since it stole its taskbar straight from the Mac OS. It's a dock. Instead of a little blue light to show you which apps are running, it uses a glossy effect. Whoopti-freakin' doo.

To address your first concern, people like Macs because 1) they just work out of the box, no fiddling required. Don't have to turn off UAC to get rid of the naggy prompts, don't have to install anti-virus programs for protection, don't have to fiddle to make things work the way you want them to. 2) The Mac OS is extremely intuitive to use. A four year old braindead offspring of a mongoose and a platypus could pick up a Mac and figure out how to do what needs to be done in a matter of minutes. Try to show that same poor creature a Windows PC and they'd freak out. The only reason it's easy for you to use is because you've used it all your life. Apple has people whose only purpose is to think about how people will be using the computer, simplify and reorganize as needed to make the user experience less frustrating and more enjoyable. Want proof? Try this for me. Download a zipped up map from this website on Vista and copy it into your base directory. Tell me how many times you click your mouse button to accomplish that task. Double clicks count as a single click, as do click and drags.

Right click (1), save target as (2), okay (3), navigate to your downloads folder -- double click user folder on desktop (4) double click downloads folder (5), double click the zip file (6), right click the pk3 file (7), select "copy" (Cool, move over to an already open base directory window and right click (9), select "paste" (10), Windows asks you "are you sure you want to copy items out of this zone?" you say "yes, idiot" (11), Windows states "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder" you say "continue" (12), Windows says "I need your permission to continue, if you started this action, press continue" you say "continue again" (13), the file is copied. Finished at 13 mouse clicks and a lot of frustration over having to give Vista permission three separate times for one single copy. Even XP would ask your permission at least once for this operation.

Try this same thing on a Mac? Click the link (1), it downloads to the downloaded files flyout on your dock, which you click to expand (2). Double click the zip to extract, it opens up (3), drag it to your already open base directory window (4). End.

Oram wrote:Also in a mac when you press the red quit button on a program, for example firefox, it is still running.

This behavior is determined by the program and does not happen to everything. If you close the last open Firefox window, it will quit entirely, for example. This is a convenience feature. How long do you want to wait for Firefox to start up every time you open it, especially with its recent bloatedness and instability. Modern computers have more than enough memory to leave a 20MB program running in the background. Heaven forbid you have 20 less MB out of 4GB, goodness no, what ever shall we do.

Last point about Macs is this: They are premium, high-end computers. They don't make crappy computers. In this world, you get what you pay for and that definitely applies to Macs when it comes to hardware. Not only that, but the new Macbooks are made to be almost entirely recyclable, get better battery life than most of the industry, and earned that epeat gold standard for green-ness. No toxic chemicals, etc. They use glass instead of plastic (no, it doesn't break, even if you drop it... over and over.. and over, just ask my iPhone), and fewer parts in the casing which makes them extremely thin and light.

Am I done toting the virtues of Macs now? Yeah, sure. I'm sure Juh or any number of our other Mac users will jump in and agree with me about their awesomeness. But, again, Paid and others have already said it. Each OS has its uses and neither is perfect for everyone. I spent a good deal of money building this Vista-based desktop I'm writing to you on and even with all the crashing and tinkering and troubleshooting and fine-tuning I've had to do to just make it work consistently, I still love peering through the side window and seeing my enormous blue Zalman heatsink, two ATI video cards, and quad core Phenom pumping so much raw power to my fingertips. But, at the same time, I never want to go through all that crashing and tinkering and troubleshooting and fine-tuning again. This will be the last PC I ever build for myself (no I'll never buy a piece of crap from Dell or HP or any of those types of overcharging crappy hardware vendors). From here on out, it's Macs for me.

Also, I'm allowed to post off topic. The rest of you aren't (except Juh or any other Mac guys who may feel free to agree with me!). Stick with the XP vs Vista debate. I'm not even sure how Macs got into this conversation in the first place.

Last edited by Wonko the Sane on Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling, grammar, etc.)
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri May 22, 2009 1:02 am

Also, a side note to Paid about gaming on Macs.. it's getting better! Companies are starting to port some popular games to Macs and they're cheap, too.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/20/popular-braid-game-now-available-for-mac/

Fifteen bucks for a popular Xbox game.

Given the awesome hardware that comes in Macs, I'm really surprised more companies aren't putting out games for 'em. The new Macbooks are just built for gaming.. the Pro's even let you pick between discrete and onboard graphics to save battery power or crank up the juice! No other laptop does that.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Juheti Fri May 22, 2009 1:38 am

I was gonna post a reply but Wonko basically covered everything. I don't understand why people are so close minded, especially when there's hard proof concerning certain things. Look at his links, google what he said. It's hard proof, but what's your proof? "Wah, cause I don't likes it =[=[=["?

Sorry that last sentence wasn't meant to be mean, just joking around, but seriously just try to be a little open minded homeboy. And lastly, YO MOMMA.

Edit: Also forgot to add, that 13 click compared to a 4 click story is no joke at all. I remember when i went home for vacation and used my PC or for that matter used another windows pc i have here to play jk2, and OMGAWD it took sooo much longer. Macs are soo much more organized and user friendly.
Juheti
Juheti
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri May 22, 2009 2:01 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:Modern computers have more than enough memory to leave a 20MB program running in the background. Heaven forbid you have 20 less MB out of 4GB, goodness no, what ever shall we do.

I want to expand on this point a bit more, because I don't think people who have never used a Mac will fully grasp my point. Leaving Firefox open in Windows is a huge deal, or any other program for that matter. After a while, programs start to eat up more and more memory, and Windows' performance just degrades all together. The more ram you have, the slower this process happens, but it invariably happens nonetheless. Windows computers need to be restarted regularly, even frequently if you have inferior hardware and less memory than normal. Macs do not degrade like this over time. If I leave this Windows computer on too long, my start menu actually stops working. It opens, but nothing is clickable. Each Windows install has peculiar quirks like that, and any PC user will gladly tell you all about how their computer seems to have a mind of its own and fails at the most inappropriate moments. I'm sure you'll never admit to it now though Razz

Additionally, the Mac OS itself does not degrade performance-wise. Windows does not clean up after itself and leaves crap EVERYWHERE. It's usually a good idea to format a PC and reinstall everything once every year or two just to clean up that garbage and make the thing work quickly again. This is not necessary on a Mac.

If I keep expanding on things I'm going to have to split this off into a separate Mac thread! Crazy
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Juheti Fri May 22, 2009 2:11 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:Additionally, the Mac OS itself does not degrade performance-wise. Windows does not clean up after itself and leaves crap EVERYWHERE. It's usually a good idea to format a PC and reinstall everything once every year or two just to clean up that garbage and make the thing work quickly again. This is not necessary on a Mac.

Sorry for adding more stuff, but again I can vouch for that. My mac has been on for hm...idk the last time I even turned it off. I'm pretty sure it's been running for about a month cause I think i restarted it then for an update. But yeah, things are as smooth as they usually are and it's been a month. And before that restart it was wayyyyyy longer and it was still good. Idk, just don't knock it until you try it is all I gotta say

Edit: Dammit..more stuff to say -_-

For one thing, you don't need to deal with messy drivers and updating drivers. And that just leads to the fact that you don't have to reinstall drivers to fix them if they mess up, cause you don't have to deal with them in the first place!

Secondly, so many ways to be organized and get you around the computer quick and efficiently. Google "Expose" (with that fancy accent on top of the 'e' that I'm too lazy to figure out). There's that among many other things that I'm too lazy to talk about cause I already typed too much. Kbai
Juheti
Juheti
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sniper Fri May 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Oram wrote:XP and vista can get the same viruses.

YOU, sir, have some epic failure in understanding what I said.

I never said ANYTHING about them getting different viruses. I said its a heck of a lot easier for vista to get viruses.
Sniper
Sniper
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PaidByDeath Fri May 22, 2009 6:13 pm

I agree with Wonko and Crazy on this.
I have had my Macintosh turmed on for like a month at a time and it has never crashed. I have 7 PC's which have screwed up because of the power supply and a crappy monitor that goes dark after a while. So Wonko you are dead right PC's do have a limited life span.

Just a few trips to the past. When I was around 14 I used to be able to take appart a PC and put it back together, I also programmed Bulliten Boards (before the Internet became popular and not so expensive) I went from one software program to another, ASCII art and ANSI (that was the Graphics back then) and also animations.

PC's were more simple back then. And hence Windows 95 came out and everyone made a rage about it like going to the launch at midnight afraid they would miss out on a copy, kind of like camping out to get tickets for a rock concert.

Windows 95 Is the bottom of the barrel so what they did was bring out 97, 98. 2000, Millenium Edition they all still had the same bugs just the interface looked a little better, talk about ripping people off.

Now we have XP and Vista, well I can't say Microsoft has really picked there game up much, just the whole "Hey look bling bling" It looks better but I will always stand by Mac's performance. My friend said that in American movies they only use Mac's because of advertising. Not true, It's because it is the preferd operation.

Further more, most likely 90 percent of the time people who bag Mac's either can't afford them or just don't know how they work.

It is like wondering in the other side of the woods so to speak. I used to not like Mac's until I did my Course and realised they are alot better. I still like PC's but it varies for different tasks.

I'm with you all the way Wonko, I wonder what would happen If some people took the time to even just test a Mac at a store or something, guys you maybe surprised, you should give it a go , I mean why not, you may like them who knows?

Cheers guys/

PaidByDeath
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugenhagen Fri May 22, 2009 6:48 pm

The thing with vista is some security issues too..

(i didnt read everything anyone else said cause it's too long so if someone mentioned it, oops)

Being a user, and not an admin on my computer, security withholds some privileges that I should have, like saving files in the base folder( Snipe knows a lot about that)

If you're an admin, you should be fine.
Bugenhagen
Bugenhagen
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 1015

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Juheti Fri May 22, 2009 7:34 pm

PaidByDeath wrote:I agree with Wonko and Crazy on this./

-_____-
Juheti
Juheti
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama Fri May 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Oram wrote:XP and vista can get the same viruses.
Of course, -_-
You cant download a tracking cookie on XP, and a trojan horse on vista downloading something like R2D2.
But vista has screwed up.
Time isnt important, So they make a clock in the right top corner and a time in the right bottom corner.
News = Go on the internet for that,
Vista sucks. Vista is a shiny laptop/PC that is over £300 or $500, Like i said earlier.
My XP looks old, Slow, Dull, I dont really care. It works, Razz
Da Llama
Da Llama

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat May 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Juheti wrote:
PaidByDeath wrote:I agree with Wonko and Crazy on this./

-_____-

rofl Poor Juh Juh.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon May 25, 2009 1:06 am

Since this thread has already sorta served it's purpose for Paid, I'm going to continue hijacking it for my own purposes. Why? Because I can. Don't try this at home, kids.

Lifehacker: What's your preferred computer platform? Well, to start, Mac or PC?

Adam Savage: Mac, 100 percent. I made a Tweet the other day, because someone had sent me an Excel document, I grabbed it and opened it, and watched my home machine just burn and grind trying to open it with Excel. So, I sent out, "Oh, Microsoft, is there anything you CAN do?" It's ridiculous. I learned about OpenOffice through Twitter, and it just amazes me. On my Mac, a super-fast 17" laptop, a video editor takes less time and power to run than an Office product.

Yes, friends, Adam Savage from the Mythbusters is a Mac guy.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'nJackSparrow Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 am

Mythbusters? Adam Savage! YAHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

*runs off to buy a Mac*
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cap'nJackSparrow
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama Mon May 25, 2009 8:35 am

Armidillo: Ranting Damn this damn VISTA!!!!!
Cat: Having hard time? You said OIASJFOI on JK2.
Armidillo: What the hell... I didnt die! Damn lag!
Cat: Neutral Ok?
Armidillo: Oh, Great. Now my graphics card has burnt!
Cat: Wow, Ok? Go get a mac.
Armidillo: No!
Cat: Alright, Have it your way, Jerk.
Da Llama
Da Llama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content