Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EA shutting down servers. wth?

5 posters

Go down

EA shutting down servers. wth? Empty EA shutting down servers. wth?

Post by Da Llama Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Da Llama
Da Llama
Recovering Spammer (Stage 42)

Number of posts : 1809

http://donutdojo.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

EA shutting down servers. wth? Empty Re: EA shutting down servers. wth?

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I was pissed when they shut down "Battlefield 2: Modern Combat" It was the first PS2 game I ever played online at my own house... brings back some serious memories. I go to my PS2 one day, still plugged in with the online modem thing, and put it Modern Combat to find it not working! From the looks of one of those lists, they shut down the Xbox version too. Complete bullshit, man. That game had a complete online community, and it was one of the best online games for the PS2. EA doesn't even accept the EA Login/Account I had for all my old games so I basically have like 3 accounts that I can't manage to combine, so I can't unlock that extra gun in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I mean it isn't like I play console games very often, but I still hate it when companies have ass-shitty business models that consider people as just a statistic.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm with you, Ice, that just pisses me off. Looks like they just want to force people to buy the sequels. What's worse is that LOTR Conquest is less than a year old and they're already shutting it down.

You know it costs them nothing to run those online servers. Hell, if I can pull it off...
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah, see, this type of crap worked flawlessly in times like the 1950s, after WWII, but now people like us (consumers) are getting more educated. If you don't remember your american history (I love american history so I do remember it), the 1950s were a time of conformity when businesses were able to apply all the fancy-shmancy, scientific thingymabobers all the scientists worked their asses of to create (things like the assembly line, dishwashers, radio advances, etc.) in real-world solutions, and they basically started the whole concept of having to buy a new product every, every time it came out.

I know you don't want to read a large essay on why people wanted to buy a new car, television set, fridge, etc., so I can only offer the most straightforward answer, and it is simply the fact that people are competitive. They absolutely must buy the latest things to feel accepted in a conformed society.

But basically, as time progresses, people are starting to become more frugal with their spending, and businesses are becoming more rampant in their quest for $$$. So, really, what people need to start contemplating is how to solve that problem. Complain about the effect of Carbon Dioxide on the atmosphere, and a business will exploit/sell it (omg look, a green-colored shirt/iPod/whatever). Complain about a hypothetical recession, and, according to economics what will happen? Prices will go down, and businesses will act accordingly to get back on track, but people still have to live by the rules of the business.

Don't get me wrong, I love free-enterprise. I study business law and accounting almost every day and the one thing that I've learned is that sh*t will always happen and your numbers will not be pretty, no matter how bad you want them to be.

Sorry for the mini-ramble haha... the world isn't divided into sensible/outrageous businesses and intelligent/naive consumers, but it isn't wise to be on either extreme.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:22 pm

I also heard about them shutting down Medal of honor: Heroes. I'm not 100% sure, buts its what I heard.
Da Llama
Da Llama

Number of posts : 1809

http://donutdojo.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Theicecreaman wrote:Yeah, see, this type of crap worked flawlessly in times like the 1950s, after WWII, but now people like us (consumers) are getting more educated. If you don't remember your american history (I love american history so I do remember it), the 1950s were a time of conformity when businesses were able to apply all the fancy-shmancy, scientific thingymabobers all the scientists worked their asses of to create (things like the assembly line, dishwashers, radio advances, etc.) in real-world solutions, and they basically started the whole concept of having to buy a new product every, every time it came out.

I know you don't want to read a large essay on why people wanted to buy a new car, television set, fridge, etc., so I can only offer the most straightforward answer, and it is simply the fact that people are competitive. They absolutely must buy the latest things to feel accepted in a conformed society.

But basically, as time progresses, people are starting to become more frugal with their spending, and businesses are becoming more rampant in their quest for $$$. So, really, what people need to start contemplating is how to solve that problem. Complain about the effect of Carbon Dioxide on the atmosphere, and a business will exploit/sell it (omg look, a green-colored shirt/iPod/whatever). Complain about a hypothetical recession, and, according to economics what will happen? Prices will go down, and businesses will act accordingly to get back on track, but people still have to live by the rules of the business.

Don't get me wrong, I love free-enterprise. I study business law and accounting almost every day and the one thing that I've learned is that sh*t will always happen and your numbers will not be pretty, no matter how bad you want them to be.

Sorry for the mini-ramble haha... the world isn't divided into sensible/outrageous businesses and intelligent/naive consumers, but it isn't wise to be on either extreme.
tl;dr.

Tbh, this is the kind of stuff I'd expect from Activision, not EA but... Neutral
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Loki wrote:tl;dr.

What you just described, Ice, is half of everything that is wrong with our society today. Loki's response is, arguably, the other half. Razz
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

yeah and the other thing i failed to mention was that when unemployment rates increase and there is no positive change in people's salaries, big corporations don't adjust the prices on their products. I mean, ok... McDonalds might add more meals to their dollar menu, but is that really going to affect a person's state of living?

People will still buy all those 150.00 dollar jackets and add more shoes to their collection (you honestly don't need more than 5-6 pairs of shoes i don't understand the obsession). People also will still continue to trust these corporations while all the small businesses, who have more talent and aspirations, pay the price. Add more money into the system and that won't fix the big picture. Try to let the economy fix itself and watch the problems take different shapes and forms.

Now add cookies and candies to the economy....and the problem is solved!

WOOT!

nah but seriously, an economy is like a broken dam whose water is constantly flowing, but the leaks and problems are never ending. We, the human race, have tried and tried to rebuilt the dam of life and have never found a solution that seems to appease everybody. Personally, I think that if we just decrease the water in areas where energy is not needed, there will be fewer leaks. and for the epic question all politicians are obsessed over....: WHICH AREAS DON'T NEED ENERGY???

haha kickass metaphor. i'm so cool. Curse you, energy!
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Thx for stating the obvious ice Rolling Eyes

J/k

And u r teh coolest... after all, u are made of icecream :p
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Loki wrote:tl;dr.

What you just described, Ice, is half of everything that is wrong with our society today. Loki's response is, arguably, the other half. Razz
I can't say I try but meh. Cool
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down