Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone play the old republic?

+3
masterchief
Wonko the Sane
KaiStagon
7 posters

Go down

anyone play the old republic? Empty anyone play the old republic?

Post by KaiStagon Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am

Shrug 

A sad story: my laptop died unexpectedly a few days back and I had to get a new one (my old one was almost 5 years old, ran XP, and wasn't exactly a modern marvel). So I've got a new system that can run TOR just fine (still have to look into getting JK2/A to run on windows Cool. Not quite sure how this game works (I've never played a MMO before) but I feel like i'm gonna sink a ton of hours into it. If any of y'all play let's connect or something!
Plant

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

anyone play the old republic? Empty Re: anyone play the old republic?

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 am

Such sad news about the laptop Sad Sorry to hear about that. Backups are so hugely important!

I kept going back and forth on The Old Republic ever since it came out. When it was first announced I was so excited about it because I thought, an online KotOR game I can play with friends? Hell yes! But then when it was released it just seemed like a World of Warcraft clone except Star Wars themed. The more I heard about it the more I heard it was less KotOR and more WoW and that really made me shy away from it. I'm really not big on MMO's that are all about grinding and leveling and such. What I was really hoping for was story on the level of the original KotOR games, except multiplayer. Every person I've asked has said if that's what I'm expecting I'll be disappointed.

But then it went free to play and I thought maaaaybe I should give it a try now that it won't cost me anything if it sucks. But then I didn't. So here I am, still debating whether or not to waste any time on it at all. That said, I'm kind of in the market for a new game to waste some serious time on so... I think I might just hit that download button and see what happens?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by masterchief Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 am

that pretty mutch sums up what I feel about that game. Still funny they still sell copies in the retailer stores for like 60euro.
masterchief
masterchief
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 276

http://www.propzone.be

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Aw really? I got my copy for 12.99USD at Best Buy. How is it 60E across the pond?!

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by masterchief Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:32 pm

KaiStagon wrote:Aw really? I got my copy for 12.99USD at Best Buy. How is it 60E across the pond?!

Stupid retailer here in Belgium. They can't even grasp the concept of platinum games.
No wonder everybody here torrents everything.
masterchief
masterchief
Pie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:18 pm

It's going to take me days to download the free to play version. Twenty five gigabytes it said. It'll be fun it said. Neutral I don't know if it's worth it.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by masterchief Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:It's going to take me days to download the free to play version.  Twenty five gigabytes it said.  It'll be fun it said.  Neutral  I don't know if it's worth it.

thats allot. hope you got a good internet subscription. I got unlimited whoop! But it's not asmutch as bf3. Thats like 32gig!
masterchief
masterchief
Pie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm

You can always return from Best Buy if you want your money back, Kai. Sucks your old laptop gave out. 5 years isn't so bad, though.

What kind of laptop do you have now?
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:It's going to take me days to download the free to play version.  Twenty five gigabytes it said.  It'll be fun it said.  Neutral  I don't know if it's worth it.

Being near Baltimore sucks, they said. The infrastructure is bad, they said.

But dammit do I love having good internet everywhere here Very Happy

If your internet really is that slow, you could buy a physical copy and probably get it mailed sooner. Razz

Trey
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 am

It's done downloading now. Just took a couple days. Can't wait until fiber becomes a real thing on this side of the country. Those Californians don't know how good they've got it.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Let us know how it goes!
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 pm

My excuse for not trying it before was how long it would have taken to download even the free version. Since I'm out of excuses, I'll probably give it a whirl this weekend and see what's up.

Kai, have you tried it out yet?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:12 am

I TRIED THIS GAME FOR AWHILE, ALLOW ME TO BRING YOU UP TO SPEED..

It's basically WoW with Kotor skin.

GLAD TO BE OF SERVICE Very Happy

Nah but seriously it was quite fun for awhile, although the level scaling started getting pretty difficult for me on a ftp account. I just kinda felt it was taking way too long. I was doing tons of quests and it was taking so long that I eventually lost interest. You see people who buy a subscription get tons of perks like access to mounts 10-15 levels before ftp accounts do, extra xp, access to more professions. It kinda makes you feel like a second class citizen for not paying lolol. I did hear you don't need all those things to complete the story in the game on a ftp account (supposedly not such a bad story) but to me it just seemed like such a grind, and there's really only so much of that sith i can take Rolling Eyes.

I should mention though that I really enjoyed the fact that pretty much every npc interaction was voiced and you could be a real dick to people if you went a sith Twisted Evil, it was almost comical at times really.
Shinja
Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 am

Are certain parts of the story only available to you at certain levels? In the MMO's I've played in the past, that was the worst part. You had to really grind to get to the next level if you wanted the next piece of the story. And then if you can't get there 'cause your xp is nerfed for being a ftp player, well that sounds like it really sucks...
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

Eh, it's kinda just about the same as any other rpg game where there's character progression with a story, except there's a little more "grinding" than usual. When I say "grinding" though, I kinda mean a lot of filler type quests that aren't overly related to any main story that I could point out.

Honestly I only played until like level 15 but even then I couldn't point to any main story goal that I was following other than being some sith masters apprentice and "getting better". I wouldn't say it has much of a developed story like Kotor1 and 2 did, it might later on but certainly not in the beginning.

Kotor 1 and 2 seemed to have better reasons for the player to be doing something within the story. Like the things you had to do in the first game to escape the world of Taris made sense. You had reasons to meet up with the Jedi and then go to other worlds. It just doesn't seem the same in Swtor because most of the quests feel like sidequests. They're contained and modular and it doesn't really feel like the outcome has an effect on anything other than the idea of advancing your characters level and "social standing" within the sith.

I guess it could be different for the republic story or other character professions but I have my doubts.

I'd still try it out for yourself though. Personally I've been feeling a bit unimpressed with most games recently so it might just be me. silent
Shinja
Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimlore Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am

....Not to mention they limit nowadays how much PvP dailies (would take too long to explain how PvP works) a player can do, as well as now they restricted most playable races too. Mad
Grimlore
Grimlore

Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down