Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can jk2 survive without mappers?

5 posters

Go down

Can jk2 survive without mappers? Empty Can jk2 survive without mappers?

Post by Acrobat Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Map-craft is gone unless someone buys it up (map-craft hosted Rich Diesel along with its other tutorials.)

Without it no one can really learn to map, and there are no tutorials for existing mappers. I know most of what was on there so I won't have too many problems other than not having a good forum for asking questions that stump me, but no one new to mapping will be able to learn.

Essentially only existing mappers will be making stuff with no new mappers learning.

And of course jk2files is #$@#$@ so there is no good place to host maps anyways.

Acrobat

Number of posts : 316

Back to top Go down

Can jk2 survive without mappers? Empty Re: Can jk2 survive without mappers?

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I've resorted to hosting maps myself on a dropbox account I set up for the School. Hopefully people who are looking for those hard to find maps on google get redirected here and we're able to keep some of the good old maps alive.

Thing is, though, there's really only a few jk2 servers left that people bother joining, and most of them only use Bespin. I mean, let's face it, none of the truly popular jk2 servers have ever used custom maps regularly. For the most part, people are stuck in this love/hate relationship with Bespin. Even if jk2 never supported custom maps, it'd probably still be the same story.

I've always hated Bespin and took a stand by removing it entirely from my servers. But I replaced it with all the Single Player maps, so people can still join without needing every other map on our downloads list.

I think jk2 is at the point where even those who enjoy exploring new maps don't bother looking for new ones anymore because there's no good place to find them and nobody is really making them anyways. So your question shouldn't be "can jk2 survive without mappers", it should be more like "can jk2 survive?" Sure. So long as Wonko's World stays up, jk2 will exist! cheers And we'll be the last to go!

Even if jk2 does die off, we'll all just migrate over to jk3 all kicking and screaming.

If you're really that worried about the tutorial site going down, though, why not have that guy make a full forum backup and import it into some free forum service? At least then the resources wouldn't disappear entirely.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:04 pm

The only problem, for Wonko's sake, about migrating to JKA is the fact that there isn't much to distinguish Wonko's server from other ones. I mean, with the jk2 server, Wonko has the SP maps all hacked up (plus there's always his kickass mod).
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Acrobat Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I don't know anything about making home pages or hosting stuff though.

Plus map-craft is already gone. I heard there might be some people trying to buy it somehow though and put it back up.

My point is that without that there will literally be zero new mappers, and that probably goes for jk3 as well.

Acrobat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 pm

@Ice: Wouldn't be too much work to convert my mod over to jk3 if I had to. I just haven't because nobody plays on jk3 right now, so there's no point in wasting that time.

I'm sure there's other mapping tutorials out there or resources for people to turn to. When jk2 started there weren't any jk2 mapping tutorials but people somehow figured it out. Resourceful people will figure it out. And if they aren't that resourceful, well, we probably don't want their maps anyways.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:05 am

Well at least I learned the basics stuff from rich diesel's tut.

Meh, there's only a handful of ppl that actually play jk2 regularly anymore. Most ppl have moved on to dif games now, since there are so many mp online games around nowadays.
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiStagon Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 am

Hey Acro--

I check map craft very frequently. I like knowing that the jk2/3 world keeps on turnin'. You may have noticed that Darth Arth returned to mapping recently-- apparently he is in talks to reacquire map craft along with some others. I suspect that the interested parties will get ahold of Darth G (owner of map craft) sooner or later, and make sure that map craft (or its replacement site) is owned/run by more than one person. I do share your concerns though-- map craft is an invaluable resource with almost a full decade of rare one-of-a-kind tutorials for higher-level processes. And, the waybackmachine doesn't seem to be retrieving much useful data...

more info here: http://forums.filefront.com/sw-jk3-modding-mapping-editing/440002-map-craft.html

KaiStagon
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by Acrobat Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Thing about map-craft that was so good is not just the tutorials but the years and years of forum topics stacked up. You could type in an error there and find 30 topics already about it and dig around until you find whatever obscure thing you were looking for. I hope they get it back up somehow.

Acrobat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum