Official Music Thread

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Official Music Thread

Post by Trey on Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm

No, I didn't go. I haven't taken the time to listen to him at all yet.

Trey
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 108

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Sat May 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah I can't stand the original Thrift Shop song, but for some reason when Lindsey Stirling does it, my foot actually taps along.

Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4092

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey on Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Not technically music, but still related:

https://play.google.com/store?hl=en

Google is offering a month long trial for Play, and a reduced price if you sign up. I just started my trial tonight, so I don't have much of an opinion yet. It seems like spotify-in-browser so far. I don't like not having a separate application, but the library is good.

Trey
Pie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm

So Ice and I were chatting about that when it first came out. I really, really (really) hate Spotify's marketing practices and that just makes me not want to pay them no matter how good their service may be compared to everyone else.

As this type of streaming music service has started to spread though, I'm starting to see how much more sense it makes than buying individual songs or albums. It's just like Netflix, which I have no problem paying for, except better 'cause you don't just get old music Razz

My only concern at this point is there's no iPhone app. There is a third party app that connects to it which you can purchase, but the reviews say it's a bit buggy and connections take a while to buffer. Google says their service isn't optimized for third party apps, so that may be why. But if I can't start streaming an album on my desktop and then continue streaming it on a car ride, then what's the point?

Post back after you've gotten to use it for a while. I'm interested in hearing what you think about the quality of the music stream and if you've found a way around the mobile situation.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Thu May 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Just saw this article. Google says they'll have the service on iOS in the next few weeks. What they didn't specifically say is whether it will be an app or just a website thing.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/30/google-announces-google-play-music-and-all-access-streaming-coming-to-ios-in-next-few-weeks/

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja on Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 am

I've been using this ever since I got my Nexus 4, which was about a month ago. Very good service imo, it allows storage of up to 20k of your own music files, which easily covered my entire library. Can't say I've bought all that much from its store apart from necessities (Vice city and a PS1 emulator Razz).

Edit: Oh and as for music quality, there's an option on the android app to only stream music at it's highest bit rate available. I assume it'd always stream in it's highest rate on a PC though, due to no internet constraints from something like 3G.

Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 127

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 pm

How's the quality if you're out and about and it's streaming over cellular, and you don't force it to the highest quality to save data? Also, do you have issues with songs being interrupted for buffering all the time as you're out moving about?

If there aren't really any buffering issues when you're out driving around, I'd probably end up using this as a complete replacement for the built in iPod app. Why bother buying albums when you can just stream anything at any time.

In theory it sounds like such a great idea. I just don't know if the cellular service is up to the task?

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja on Fri May 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Well I don't have a car so I'm usually either just walking or on the train. When I'm out walking there can be some buffering issues if I force high quality whilst trying to listen to an mp3 file with a bitrate of 320kbps, although it's usually not too bad, even in rural areas.

As for the train though.. well.. lets just say the excitement of tunnels has worn off quite a bit since I was a kid. Mad

Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Fri May 31, 2013 11:06 pm

Heh. How bad is it on the train besides tunnels? Moving that fast from cell tower to cell tower, does that cause any annoying interruptions?

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 pm

It's usually not too bad on the train but there is this one dead zone where all communication seems to cut out lolol.

Maybe you should set up some kind of network analyser on your phone Wonks Razz

Edit:

JUST REMEMBERED THIS IS A MUSIC THREAD:

Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:22 pm

So I signed up for the trial and I'm digging it so far. Switching on HTML5 audio definitely improved the quality of the streaming music on the desktop.

I'm now trying to find a way to import my playlists from iTunes without having to upload all the songs. Since everything is streaming, there's really no reason to have to upload the music itself. I just want to duplicate the playlists so I can use Google Music instead of iTunes (really hate the latest versions of iTunes).

So far I haven't been able to find a way to do that. Do you know of any way, Shinji?

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Well personally I just uploaded my entire library of music with their little "Music Manager" application via Windows Media Player. In their "Music Manager" application I did have the option to select which songs to upload based on windows media player playlists if that's what you're asking? It also had an option there to upload music via iTunes instead but I didn't check if you could do it on a playlist basis.

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT

Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Basically, I wanted to upload a playlist but not the actual music files. Just the list of music. For a lot of my older songs, anything Google streams would be much higher quality than the files I still have rotting on my hard drive, so I don't want to upload anything that's lower quality.

I did a test upload of one of my playlists and found that it actually tries to match songs in my playlist to songs it already knows, and if it finds a close enough match it doesn't bother uploading my file. So that's exactly what I wanted.

It wasn't perfect, though. For example it matched one Moby song off his Play album so it didn't upload that, but then two others from the very same album it decided it didn't know what they were so it went ahead and uploaded them. Shrug They were both high enough quality files that I didn't care about those, but it means when I do upload the rest of my playlists I'll have to double check everything Zombie Tired

Not everyone may care about lower quality music but it hurts my ears Dizzy Especially when I break out my good headphones and I'm all like DJ and you wish you were like Rock Band with me but instead all you get is this guy: Blues Dude

Too bad. Pity

Speaking of violins...

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinja on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:26 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:I did a test upload of one of my playlists and found that it actually tries to match songs in my playlist to songs it already knows, and if it finds a close enough match it doesn't bother uploading my file. So that's exactly what I wanted.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THOUGH. Doesn't google at least need some evidence that you have the mp3 file in your possession? Like by means of actually uploading them? Or are you re-buying songs you already own on the google service? I mean the way you're explaining this makes it sound like I could forge a playlist, upload it and then basically stream free music >.>

I have a feeling I'm missing something terribly obvious here. silent

EDIT: HUARGH

Shinja
Cookie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:21 am

I'm assuming it's also checking stuff like the length of the song and the file size and such to make sure it's a legit music file. I wonder if you could create a blank mp3 though and match the length to a song, put in all the proper ID3 tags and such and have Google say "okay boss!"

I guess in the end it doesn't matter at all though, 'cause the All Access subscription means you get to stream any song anyway. You don't buy individual songs, you just pay to stream all of them. That'd be the terribly obvious thing you're missing Razz

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Is it just me or was that Lindsey Sterling video exactly what I thought The Hunger Games was going to be like when I first heard of it?

Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 3991
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Heh, I can see it actually, yeah. Woulda' been a pretty awesome movie if that was actually how it played out. Kung Fu

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 pm

They could compare hashes of the two files. It'd be far from all-encompassing, but probably worth it if they had a relatively low hit rate. It would probably at least catch everyone who got their music from a place like iTunes, or ripped from CDs.

(unless tags are stored in the file too. i dunno how that fancy magic stuff works)

Trey
Pie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm

blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Llama on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Recovering Spammer (Stage 42)

Number of posts : 1807

View user profile http://donutdojo.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Is that a free album or do you have to actually buy it? I mean it's says "Steal This Album" so it would be a total ripoff if you had to pay for it Cool

blivvy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Emma Dean is pretty cool.

To be honest, most of Candyrat is pretty cool.

blivvy wrote:Is that a free album or do you have to actually buy it? I mean it's says "Steal This Album" so it would be a total ripoff if you had to pay for it Cool

The album was released after a bunch of their work that didn't go on Toxicity was leaked. The design/name is to mock the leak.

Trey
Pie Academy Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:13 pm

This is totally epic.

blivvy

View user profile