Electric Cars/Energy Saving

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Electric Cars/Energy Saving

Post by Theicecreaman on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 am

So I don't know about you guys, but I really think electric cars are something that we need to start looking at, what with these energy crises we're facing. This one, in particular, looks pretty badass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S

What do you guys think about them? I think the main drawback right now is the time it takes to recharge them and the lack of close enough charging stations. I'd like to see more fuel-efficient hybrids as well; I just don't think that many of them are cost-efficient enough yet in the short-run. In the long-run, perhaps they are. But I only imagine that by then, something even more efficient will be out. It's like buying a new iPhone/iPod a month before the new one releases: that just wouldn't make any sense for obvious reasons.

Speaking of saving money (I'll just add "/Energy Saving" to the title), what do you guys think about solar energy? I think solar panels need to be installed in more houses. I also like the idea of solar charging stations for electric cars and stuff like that. How about y'all? Tip Hat

Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 3981
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Electric Cars/Energy Saving

Post by Wonko the Sane on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:06 pm

I just read that Tesla set up three charging stations on the east coast. And it only gets you three hours of highway driving time or something like that. It all sounds really good in theory, but it seems like the technology is seriously underdeveloped to me. And even then, is that electricity coming from a clean power plant or from something that burns fossil fuels?

The whole clean energy thing extends far beyond cars, they're just one piece of the puzzle. There needs to be a complete revamping of our energy system to make use of cleaner methods of generating power.

I'm sure if even one of the major gas companies threw their entire weight into the problem, they could come up with a complete solution. The problem is, they're all run by old fartbags who are stuck in the roaring 20's mindset. Use it all up until there's nothing left, basically.

Solar energy is pretty cool though. I got a little solar charger for my iDevices for Christmas. Problem is, it takes 8-10 hours to charge up its internal battery and it needs direct sunlight or it'll take even longer. Solar cell technology also needs some time and effort put into it to make it more efficient. Solar panels on a house, on the other hand, seems like a really good idea to me. They just sit up there all day long collecting and storing energy. I've heard that most homes with solar panels end up with a surplus that they actually sell back to the nearest electrical power plant, so that's kinda cool. But then there are those long winter weeks where it's just cloudy all day every day and you still need the unclean energy Shrug

Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4085

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of having them on a house too. I really think that more houses should incorporate that. I mean, that really benefits everyone because even energy companies have such as high demand, you know, so that really benefits them too.

I think that once I get a stable, life-long career after I eventually and hopefully go to graduate school and eventually buy a house (not a starter house or anything, but a legit house), I would install solar panels from the start. Not only does that add value to the house, but in a couple years, I would break even. And from there, I would be saving money.

Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 am

I've always thought it'd be really smart to put solar panels on a house too. I think whether or not they'd actually be beneficial long-term depends heavily on what part of the country you live in though.

I know places out in the Southwest that get lots of sun year-round have more solar panels that other places. I wonder if there's any info out there about solar panels on houses on the east coast?

Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4085

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 am

Well I know over here solar panels on a house are basically useless. They barely even warm up water. But that's because are weather sucks most of the time.

Also I have seen charging stations around but I don't know anyone who has an electric car or has even thought about getting one. Nobody likes change I guess Razz

blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 am

I know you can, I mean, I had a professor who was OD-insane about getting everyone to have solar panels to save money in the long-run and protect the environment. I guess you'd have to look around.

Also, I agree in that it's all about the climate where you live. If it works, it might be worth it and you can increase the value of your house. If not, then, whatevs.

Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 am

Hnnngggggggg

Trey
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 108