Need help. :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help. :)

Post by infect on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 am

Hey all

Okay, so I decided to make a server at JK2, but it won't show in the JK2 serverlist, what can be the problem? Appreciate any help!
infect

Number of posts : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help. :)

Post by Wonko the Sane on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 am

If you're hosting the server yourself, it's probably a router issue. You need to forward certain ports in order for it to show and for others to join.

You can Google to find a list of all the ports it needs to use. Keep in mind that this opens a dozen or so ports on your router, which is an avenue for someone to break in and do bad stuff. It's like leaving open a few windows in your house while going on vacation.

If you're not leaving this server on all the time, then it's probably not a big deal. For example if you just want to turn it on for a couple hours while you play with a friend it's probably okay. If, however, you want to leave the server on all the time, you're going to want to do some research into what it means when you forward a port and the extra security precautions you're going to need to take to protect your home network.

Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4091

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:If you're hosting the server yourself, it's probably a router issue. You need to forward certain ports in order for it to show and for others to join.

You can Google to find a list of all the ports it needs to use. Keep in mind that this opens a dozen or so ports on your router, which is an avenue for someone to break in and do bad stuff. It's like leaving open a few windows in your house while going on vacation.

If you're not leaving this server on all the time, then it's probably not a big deal. For example if you just want to turn it on for a couple hours while you play with a friend it's probably okay. If, however, you want to leave the server on all the time, you're going to want to do some research into what it means when you forward a port and the extra security precautions you're going to need to take to protect your home network.

Alright. I have opened port 28060-28062 and 28070-28081 (I'm pretty sure that's all the ports I need to open?) and I have tried to turn off every firewall that could block anything. I even tried opening 1000-65000 port just to check if it worked then, but it didn't. Rolling Eyes It's pretty annoying, I really want the server to show up on the internet list, but I have no clue what the problem could be. :S I read something about opening WAN Servers, but I do not know how to do that in my modem..

Ty for answer, Wonko. Smile
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Okay, I figured out the problem with some help from my friend [DARK]Boy.
I'm obv. sending the wrong ports to the masterservers..

195.204.138.107:52622
195.204.138.107:53311
195.204.138.107:54132
195.204.138.107:54872
195.204.138.107:55667
195.204.138.107:56423

If you know how to fix this please tell me! cheers
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 am

You don't want to turn off firewalls or open any ports other than the ones specifically needed by jk2. As I said before, each port your open is an avenue for attack. If this is your home network, you should be seriously concerned about that. Are you hosting the server on Windows or Linux? Is it a dedicated server box or just your own computer? If it's Windows, you need to be very careful because Windows is far less secure than Linux. If someone uses one of those open ports to get into the Windows server (which is really easy when those ports are open), your entire home network becomes at risk due to Windows' insecurities. Furthermore, once you broadcast your IP to the Internet along with those ports, it's an open invitation for anyone to come snoop around.

I know you just want a quick answer, but there's a lot more to running a server than simply turning it on and playing and having fun. I wouldn't be doing my part if I didn't make you aware of the risks.

As for broadcasting to the master servers, you shouldn't need anything special in your configs for that. JK2 handles it automatically. If you do have any extra broadcasts in your configs, take them out.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:You don't want to turn off firewalls or open any ports other than the ones specifically needed by jk2. As I said before, each port your open is an avenue for attack. If this is your home network, you should be seriously concerned about that. Are you hosting the server on Windows or Linux? Is it a dedicated server box or just your own computer? If it's Windows, you need to be very careful because Windows is far less secure than Linux. If someone uses one of those open ports to get into the Windows server (which is really easy when those ports are open), your entire home network becomes at risk due to Windows' insecurities. Furthermore, once you broadcast your IP to the Internet along with those ports, it's an open invitation for anyone to come snoop around.

I know you just want a quick answer, but there's a lot more to running a server than simply turning it on and playing and having fun. I wouldn't be doing my part if I didn't make you aware of the risks.

As for broadcasting to the master servers, you shouldn't need anything special in your configs for that. JK2 handles it automatically. If you do have any extra broadcasts in your configs, take them out.

Alright. First of all, thank-you for helping, Wonko. Smile

I have my firewalls on, and I have only opened the ports 28060 and 28070 now, thats why I don't get why they are recieving some random ports. Any suggestions about why this is happening? Could it be the masterservers going crazy? I read something about enabling NAT settings and then it would be on the list, but I have no idea what that is. Razz

Last edited by infect on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 pm

NAT settings and WAN settings are all unrelated to what you need to do here.

Here's a quote from the official jk2 help guide somewhere on the Internet:

The specific UDP ports that Jedi Outcast uses are 28060, 28061, 28062, and 28070 through 28081 (inclusive.) These ports need to be opened in the Out-bound direction to join games. They will also need to be opened in the In-bound direction if you want players outside of your firewall to be able to join your dedicated or non-dedicated servers behind your firewall.

So check to make sure you're opening UDP ports and not TCP ports. TCP ports will be useless. There should be an option in your router when you're in the forward screen. Then if your router has a difference between inbound and outbound ports, you'll need to make sure you open both. It probably doesn't, though.

If that doesn't work... What kind of computer are you hosting this server on? What OS is it running, is it a dedicated server box, what other kinds of software like antivirus or software firewalls is it running?

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:NAT settings and WAN settings are all unrelated to what you need to do here.

Here's a quote from the official jk2 help guide somewhere on the Internet:

The specific UDP ports that Jedi Outcast uses are 28060, 28061, 28062, and 28070 through 28081 (inclusive.) These ports need to be opened in the Out-bound direction to join games. They will also need to be opened in the In-bound direction if you want players outside of your firewall to be able to join your dedicated or non-dedicated servers behind your firewall.

So check to make sure you're opening UDP ports and not TCP ports. TCP ports will be useless. There should be an option in your router when you're in the forward screen. Then if your router has a difference between inbound and outbound ports, you'll need to make sure you open both. It probably doesn't, though.

If that doesn't work... What kind of computer are you hosting this server on? What OS is it running, is it a dedicated server box, what other kinds of software like antivirus or software firewalls is it running?

Okay, I opened the ports only in UDP now. Smile I'm hosting the server os Windows 7 on my PC. ATM I don't have any antivirus program with firewall. Very Happy I tried what you said, it didn't fix the problem.:S
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 pm

If there's no firewall on the computer then I'm not sure what else could be going wrong if it's still not showing up in the list. There's really not much to set up.

I want to stress again, though, all the security holes you're creating here.

1: You're using Windows for a server (bad)
2: You're using your personal computer (very bad)
3: You're opening direct ports to that computer and then broadcasting your IP and those ports to the entire world, giving anyone who wants it direct access to your personal desktop (very, very bad)
4: You're not even running an antivirus on that computer (are you mad?!)

You seriously need to think about what you're doing here. It's not very safe.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:If there's no firewall on the computer then I'm not sure what else could be going wrong if it's still not showing up in the list. There's really not much to set up.

I want to stress again, though, all the security holes you're creating here.

1: You're using Windows for a server (bad)
2: You're using your personal computer (very bad)
3: You're opening direct ports to that computer and then broadcasting your IP and those ports to the entire world, giving anyone who wants it direct access to your personal desktop (very, very bad)
4: You're not even running an antivirus on that computer (are you mad?!)

You seriously need to think about what you're doing here. It's not very safe.

I am running a antivirus program, but it's a free edition, so the firewall is not included. Smile Anyway, if I don't get the server on the list I will close the ports.

Hehe, thank you for your concerns, Wonko. I Agree I Agree cheers
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 pm

I hear this is a pretty legit Firewall program: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I used to use it years ago (four-ish, maybe more?), but then it updated and started blocking everything single damn thing...I'm sure they updated by now.

Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 3989
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 am

I used to use a software firewall... then I took an arrow--nowait.

Really, if you have a decent hardware firewall (built into a router), you don't need a software firewall at all. Unless you're doing some really shady stuff with your computer, that is. All they tend to do is get in the way, especially for novice users. For infect's situation and what he's trying to do, a software firewall would actually cause more problems than it would solve believe it or not.

Slightly off topic:

Oh, by the way Ice, I don't use AVG anymore. I don't know if you've noticed but with the new versions over the past year it's gotten more and more resource heavy. Like, it takes forever to open and when it scans it slows down the computer more than it used to. Sometimes it sucks CPU usage for no reason at all. A month or so ago I switched over to (gasp) Microsoft Security Essentials. I heard good things about it and looked at some independent test sites that said it was actually performing very well in their tests.

I guess it makes sense, when you think about it. Microsoft is facing stiff competition from Apple and if they want to make things easier and simpler for normal people, they need to have Windows be protected automatically and effectively. So it's in their best interests to create a really solid antivirus and offer it for free to everyone.

So far, it seems pretty good at what it does. Scans take a bit longer, especially if you do a full scan. That will take hours and hours and hours because it literally scans every last file on your computer. I started one when I went to sleep and woke up and it was just over halfway through. So I stopped it and still haven't gone back to do one of those yet. But by default it doesn't do those, it does some normal scan that doesn't take nearly that long.

So yeah, I actually recommend it. It's a decent piece of software and doesn't slow down my computer like AVG started doing. It doesn't offer as many advanced settings and customizations and rules and such though, it's more of a "set it and forget it" thing.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am

It used to suck ass a few years ago. I never think about my Antivirus much--occasionally I might run a quick scan, but that's about it. It just does its thing in the background.

I guess I will also switch? I mean, anything to speed up my laptop is welcome I suppose.

Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 3989
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

View user profile http://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:22 am

Well, could this firewall shit be the reason why I'm sending the wrong ports to the masterservers? Razz
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:05 pm

You said you don't have a software firewall on your computer, so no.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by infect on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 am

Wink

Do you think it could be something the masterservers are doing wrong, or just my router going insane? santa
infect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

It's likely not the master servers. It could possibly be your router, but that's a pretty weird thing for a router to do. I have no idea to be honest, not without sitting in front of the offending computer and figuring it out myself. It's not an easy thing to troubleshoot without having physical access to the computer.

Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum