Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aurora Shooting

+2
blivvy
Theicecreaman
6 posters

Go down

Aurora Shooting Empty Aurora Shooting

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:13 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18937726
So the article basically sums it up. It's sad news.

Some people are just insane, yo. I will most likely go see the movie in a week or so.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Aurora Shooting Empty Re: Aurora Shooting

Post by blivvy Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Yea this was really terrible. I feel bad for the victims families. That guy killed 12 people and he will probably just end up in a psychiatric hospital or something Mad
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 pm

VIDEOGAMES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Apparently he was an avid gamer, but one of those kinds of ultra-reserved World of Warcraft-type of players. He used to be smart, but then he took an arrow to--I mean, he started slippin' in school and stuff once he started his PhD program in the neurosciences. Ironic, isn't it? A neuroscientist whose brain is wrongly wired? Normal people don't go on killing sprees like this from learned behavior at his age.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:43 am

What is normal anyway. We like to think we're the most evolved creature on the planet and yet stuff like this happens too often. If you really dive into all the things going on in his head/life/everything that may possibly have resulted in or contributed to a psychotic break of some kind, you're likely going to wind up with a list of all the reasons why we hate used car salesmen, politicians, greedy corporate CEO's, and just about all the other things that make up the foundations of our so-called civilized world but we can't do anything about because we love our Mega Walmarts, Super Stop & Shops, and our Mcdonalds just around the corner anywhere we happen to be.

I was reading the other day about a measurement system used to measure light pollution when you're out looking at the stars at night. The system goes from city life where there's so much light pollution that you can barely see any stars, to more rural areas where there's light pollution near the horizon but you can see a lot of stars out, to so little light pollution that you can clearly see the milky way across the whole sky, to a point where there are so many stars visible that the milky way itself is barely able to be seen behind the sheer density of the stars in the sky, and you can't look up without seeing all the hundreds of tiny meteors burning up in our atmosphere all the time. When's the last time you even saw the milky way at all up there? Or a shooting star? It's really hard to imagine what the night sky must have looked like to the people living before the industrial revolution, and before the world's population exploded so far out of control that there are a growing number of areas in the world where there just isn't enough food to support everyone living there (Africa). When you really think about it, it makes you wonder if it was all worth it. Think about all the things we have given up just so there can be a Mcdonalds on every street corner. I'm sure there are things we've given up that we don't even know we once had, simply because it hasn't existed for so many generations it's just been lost to time. And then you think about things happening in the world like this guy and the shooting that just happened, and you really have to start to wonder.

And if you don't, well you really should. Because this is the world we've inherited.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 am

The world was pretty messed up before the industrial revolution too, though, you know. I feel like regardless, human nature will find a way to bring out its dark side. But I really am of the belief that people don't just "snap" like that without some sort of trigger or at least some kind of biological thing that makes them want to kill not out of self-preservation. From what I understanding, it's a combination of psychological and biological factors, so to what extent can we really blame society? It's really both working in conjunction.

Because hey, I mean, guess what. The next car I buy will most likely be used, I will be eating from McDonalds at least once within the next 2 or 3 months, and I'll vote in the next election simply to choose the lesser of two evils. And as messed up as capitalism is, there really isn't any other way to appropriate the resources we've amassed unless we have greedy communist rulers come in and tell everyone what's what (the other extreme). Someone's gotta come in, you know, otherwise everyone will be trying to exploit one another some way, somehow.

No solution, man, no solution. And it's only going to get worse.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:05 am

You're probably right, no matter how far back you go to simpler times, human nature will always find ways to corrupt and destroy. And the psychological, biological, and societal problems that all contributed to that guy's snap are all present in smaller quantities in all the less desirable aspects of this world though. I wasn't just speaking about the societal aspect. Think about the used car salesmen who doesn't even look at you like a human being. The corporate CEO who craves power and control. Or the politician who can justify any act no matter how evil. Add to that a society that rewards these types of people and when they all come together in a perfect storm type situation, well, kasploadie. Is it really that surprising that this happens?

I mean, I know human nature always was human nature, but there was a time in our history where individuals like that weren't allowed to do these types of things. When an entire community depended on everyone working together for everyone's best interests. Maybe I'm over idealizing it, which is easy to do when thinking about the past, but you have to think how things may have been different in such a drastically different society. And you probably do have to go further back in history than just before the industrial revolution. In fact, possibly forget western civilization all together and look at some of the areas of the world where tribal culture was more prevalent.

In any case, at least the downhill spiral will end in December when the zombies apocalypse beings! Zombie Once you hit rock bottom, there's nothing left to do but get a diamond drill and go deeper.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 pm

But the guy didn't just snap, he had been planning it for months. He is just an evil mofo.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:26 pm

This is popping up all over the place:

From Roger Ebert:

"“The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, “that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about Basketball Diaries?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?” The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it. The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

"In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.”
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:28 pm

That guy takes movies way too seriously, but yeah, he totally has a point. I totally agree with that.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:17 pm

People are saying we should not call him by his name but instead call him a monster. Because he wants everyone to know who he is, he wants to be famous for committing this brutal act.

Well I really don't care what his name is and I don't want to know tbh.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

blivvy wrote:he wants to be famous for committing this brutal act.
But has that been implied yet? I thought he was keeping quiet right now...

Also, I was looking at some article, and it said that he bought those weapons off the internet. Wow. Just wow. I really hate the gun control laws we have nowadays. It's just too easy to get weapons. I mean, I have no problems with handguns and hunting rifles and shit like that, but tell me one appropriate use of automatic weaponry and gas grenades. I hope something good comes out of this, and they increase gun control in the U.S. Rather, they actually control it. The laws expired a few years ago against getting automatic guns. Now, it isn't hard to do it legally.

Seriously? I mean, there are countries where even policemen/women aren't even armed on the street, and crime just isn't that high because there's gun control in play. They need to rethink the whole "second amendment" thing and realize the reality of it: guns kill, as do people.

Not to go off on a tangent or anything...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 am

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that goes so far back into America's history that it's unlikely there will ever be those kinds of restrictions placed on guns. Any politician who advocates stricter gun control will lose the support of the entire southern half of the country, especially more rural areas where they consider guns a tool of survival instead of a weapon. That's really where the roots of the matter lie. It's unfortunate that the big advocates don't see how detrimental guns can be as weapons in more populated areas.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by time Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Theicecreaman wrote:That guy takes movies way too seriously, but yeah, he totally has a point. I totally agree with that.
Well he's a film critic, so it'd be strange if he didn't!

Also, the fact that people can get these kinds of weapons legally is insane. People are all like: "oh we need loose gun laws so we can defend ourselves against criminals!"
Doesn't seem like that idea works too well.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

But like Wonko said, gun control is something politicians try to avoid because they know they'll lose the support of voters. Some may go the the extreme and say that what happened wouldn't have happened if everyone in the theater were packin' heat in the first place so that they could defend themselves, much like the beloved wild west.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Also I read that he purchased a shitload of ammo, something like 6000 rounds over a 2 month period. How was it even possible that he would be allowed buy that much and why would anyone even need that much ammo in the 1st place?
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

He was probably extremely methodical and knew that money wouldn't be an issue after the deed was done. Again, like I said, the gun control law outlawing automatic weaponry expired some years ago in the US. It takes a while and several background checks and whatnot, but it's still possible.

The thing is, we wouldn't be the United States of America if it weren't for our fighting the British back in the day with armed militia. The Bill of Rights, right from the start, makes sure that if shit happens, the people can fight back. However, I don't think the founding fathers had fully automatic weapons in mind when they signed the constitution/Bill of Rights.

That's a topic for debate, though, one that is nothing but bias, coming from one's personal experiences, society, and ideologies. Even lawyers disagree very much on the interpretation of the constitution, something that they basically take a shitload of classes on. Some are more conservative and some liberal. Personally, I feel that it is a huge mistake to take a single side because shit just changes all the time, and it always depends on the situation. Very few politicians go by their guts and just do what's best for the situation. The first question that arises is: 'what will the voters say' followed by more self-preservation and roundabout logic.

Now I'm off on a tangent again...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:53 pm

If everyone was packing heat there would have likely been more casualties.

Our country is idiotic.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:00 am

ayjkg6ombrsahbx2.onion

All this talk of gun control...Smile

Anyhow, a few responses:

Some may go the the extreme

That is not an extremist point of view.

If everyone was packing heat there would have likely been more casualties

If everyone had a CCW, and was trained with that CCW, there would have been far fewer casualties. 12 dead, and 58 injured. Lets consider it from a trivial point of view, because I don't want to get more detailed: his gun simply does not hold 70 bullets. He'd have to reload before he killed half of them. If 30some trained people couldn't take down one man while he's reloading; well, to put it simply they're not trained.

And I don't mean trained as in military/law enforcement training. Having practiced and being familiar with your gun, having practiced drawing your weapon, being able to react to a stressful situation.

Also I read that he purchased a shitload of ammo, something like 6000
rounds over a 2 month period. How was it even possible that he would be
allowed buy that much and why would anyone even need that much ammo in
the 1st place?

There are legal and acceptable reasons to make such purchases. Also, for a gun enthusiast, 6000 rounds isn't an astronomical amount. Buy your rounds in bulk for a few months or a year or whatevs.

However, I don't think the founding fathers had fully automatic weapons
in mind when they signed the constitution/Bill of Rights.

The bill of rights and the constitution are both outdated. The founding fathers couldn't see into the future, like many people in this country seem to think they did when drafting both documents. They did a pretty good job, in my opinion, but neither they nor the documents are timeless.

knew that money wouldn't be an issue after the deed was done.

6000 rounds of 5.56(I don't know what gun he was using, the article didn't mention, but something shooting 5.56 is a pretty likely guess) can be found for around $2,400. It varies greatly depending on the gun, but you could probably get a gun for less than that.

Tbh, 6000 rounds seems excessive in my opinion. One couldn't possibly hope to carry/use that many rounds at once(that is, at once in this type of situation). I wonder if he thought he wouldn't be apprehended after the shooting? And would stricter gun control actually be effective? Yes, I tend to think so. But it seems to me that gun control is very much so an all or nothing matter(sort of:I wouldn't argue against background checks, no guns for felons, etc). One often used argument against it is the whole "criminals don't obey the laws and will get guns anyway". I read someone discussing gun control in England, and they claimed that for many criminals over there that it isn't a matter of obeying the gun control law, but rather there simply are extremely few guns over in England that its hard to get hold of them illegally too, and quite expensive. Implementing similarly strict gun control in the US though(especially with two open borders) where there is such a large number of guns already present would be quite an issue, because guns could still be acquired illegally fairly easily. If the criminals and other evildoers around me are going to be armed, I'd prefer to be armed than not armed. But it would likely be even better for neither of us to be armed(although, I'm not a great fighter. a gun is a good equalizer)[I was too tired when i wrote this/I tried to keep it short, so I really only addressed *banning* guns, which isn't the only type of gun control, obviously]

Last point:the solution isn't a better form of government(although not all forms are equal), but a better type of human being. How will we achieve that? I dunno. But humanity itself could use some upgrades Wink

Sorry for the wall o' text. In the end, its still a great tragedy, regardless of these things like gun control.

Edit:What I've found says the shooter had a semi auto AR-15 with a 30 round magazine, and an 870 shotgun and two Glocks.

Trey
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 pm

"What I want to do is find the people that represent a danger to America and find them and keep them from having the capacity to use or buy things that can harm or hurt other people."
- Something Romney said from this article: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/25/romney-calls-for-a-change-in-hearts-not-gun-laws/

It's a bit like what Trey described, you know, changing the people and stuff. Problem is, that isn't something government can do in the short-run. Politicians act like they have the solution for everything, and then when shit happens, they say that there's no solution:

"I don’t know that I’m going be able to find a way to prevent people who want to provide harm from being able to purchase things that can carry out that harm." - Romney

It doesn't make any sense lol. Apparently, he is trying to get stricter background checks, but how would that have helped prevent a shooting like this? I think I read some other article or something where some psych or criminology professor asserted that most mass murderers aren't just sociopathic murderers or your average criminals. Even the Virginia Tech guy was just unhappy with his life there and stuff (weird because the VT campus is awesome lol).

But yeah, back to my point, I feel like most people who legally buy assault rifles have a legit purpose for it, like, collecting or something. Shooting things. But most non-serial killer/mass-murderers, like gang bangers and stuff--people who use them as part of their occupations-- are going to illegally get them because that way they cannot be easily tracked. That just sorta makes you realize that stricter background checks--albeit a good idea--aren't going to solve the problem overall. Creating a "better type of human being" like Trey said is the ultimate goal, but I feel like in the meanwhile we could really limit the availability for assault rifles and stuff.

The website the guy used was for police officers and stuff, so I think that they should only allow shipping to legit destinations, like, police stations and shit like that. Well, I could go on but ya'll get the point.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down