Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Google Thread

4 posters

Go down

Official Google Thread Empty Official Google Thread

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Goog goog googity Google...

...THREAD!

So, Chrome is out for iOS. Thoughts? It seemed a bit faster I suppose, but according to this article, they were not allowed to use the Nitro JavaScript engine Safari uses or port over their V8 one (which I think we all can agree is phenomenal technology). So, they're using something called "UIWebView," which apparently isn't quite as great as the other aforementioned ones. Otherwise, I really only tested like 2 sites, but because of this JavaScript thing, I think I will stick with Safari, which is already a great browser in itself. I suppose if you want to keep in sync with Chrome on your computer, it'd benefit you in that respect, but I think I'm going to go for capability over convenience here.

And then there's Google Drive. Over Dropbox and Google Drive, Drive offers 5 GB to start with while Dropbox offers only like 2GB to start with, but you can increase that pretty easily for free. Microsoft's Skydrive system actually offers the most (7GB) for starting, but I like the interfaces for the other two more.

Rock Hard

edit:

Okay, well, with a few more trials with Chrome, I'd say that it's definitely faster than Safari. The full versions of sites load much better in it than they do in Safari.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Official Google Thread Empty Re: Official Google Thread

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm

I think any browsers in the app store have to use Safari's webkit back end, but things about the front end can change. Lately I've noticed that the Safari app itself is a bit slow on my older iPhone 4, meaning it'll take a few extra moments when I tap on the search bar for it to open up for me, things like that. Those kinds of little things were getting annoying, but Chrome is much quicker in that regards. Even if pages don't load any quicker, just having a more responsive UI made me replace Safari on my dock with Chrome.

It also has some nice menu options to quickly load a full desktop site, and working with tabs is a bit more responsive. And I prefer their unified search bar thing over having two separate bars for an address and a search.

On the other hand, there's no way to set it to the default browser in the OS so if you click a link in an e-mail it opens automatically in safari. That gets a bit annoying. And what's with the icon? It's really ugly compared to some of their other apps like Google+ or the main Google app which have nice purdy icons.

I haven't tried out Google Drive yet, but I downloaded the app. I have over 20GB of space in my dropbox now that I got from referrals and doing random stuff they offered for free space and other such things. They do a dropquest every now and then where you can win extra space. It's actually pretty easy to get a decent amount of space for free. So I don't really have a need to switch services.

Oh Ice, you can get 3gb of free space by turning on the camera uploads thing in the dropbox iOS app. Assuming you have 3gb of photos to upload, at any rate. It increases your space as you use it.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Google is win!

Theicecreaman wrote:Goog goog googity Google...

That reminded me of this -

blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Yeah I heard about the photo thing. I'll probably set that up. I think eventually they'll give you the option to set a default browser, one that'll have less restrictions on what resources it can use. Same thing happened with Microsoft--Internet Explorer was the default, but they pretty much got coerced to allow for other options.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Yeah but they were actually being anti-competitive and only changed because of the lawsuits. The reason they were forced to change was because their software was meant to be installed on other manufacturer's hardware. If that manufacturer wanted to install a different browser because someone paid them to, they couldn't.

Apple makes both the hardware and the software, so there's no such anti-competitive stuff involved. They own everything involved with the product which means they can legally do whatever the hell they want with it. It's only when other manufacturer's equipment comes into play that lawsuits can happen.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh yeah that's true. I forgot about that. In that case, they may not be that flexible to promote their own shit.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:02 am

Okay so is anyone else getting an error saying "your profile could not be opened correctly" when they open chrome?

I've looked around the net and other people are getting that error too but there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix for it.
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 am

Is it the one that says it's because your profile is for an older version of Chrome?

Either way I think you might have to delete your user profile files and start fresh. Something might have gotten corrupted.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah, that happens at Times. Coffee
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Yea deleted my profile. Seems to have fixed it Smile
blivvy
blivvy

Back to top Go down

Post by time Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Theicecreaman wrote:Yeah, that happens at Times. Coffee
o_o
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 am

rofl I just love how it doesn't stop. Time after Time it continues to be hilarious! It's infecting the entire forum!! Thousand points to Timey Wimey for being such a good sport Smile
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by time Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 am

I suppose the points make it worth my time
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by time Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:24 am

I might be the only person on the planet who still uses it, but I am still pissed that they are removing iGoogle. Blech.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 am

I don't understand why they're removing it. I always thought it looked pretty nice, although I stopped using it a few months ago. There's really no need to remove it, and their justification doesn't really make much sense.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am

It's like, "use these other things that don't do the same thing."

well, it goes away in november of 2013... I'm sure I'll be able to find a suitable replacement by then.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Is that the custom google homepage stuff? I never really saw the advantage in it to be honest, especially when Chrome has the nice new tab page with all your frequently visited sites.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by time Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

The good thing about it was it would accept any RSS feed so you could quickly check a bunch of sites for new content all at once.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down