Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Apple Thread

+2
time
Theicecreaman
6 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Official Apple Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official Apple Thread

Post by masterchief Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:Yeah it's easy peasy. You can actually get longer ringtones if you want. You need a program that lets you browse the visible file system on the iPhone. Once you sync a 40 second (that's the actual max length of a ringtone, not 30 seconds) ringtone, open up the program (I have iFunBox but there may be better ones now) and just upload the exact same filename, except the full song or however long you want it to be. Replace the shorter file with the full one basically. I think they may be named funky things also instead of their actual names, so you sort by date or something as I recall. Just make sure you replace the file name exactly even if it's weird stuff.

Keep in mind, the reason ringtones are limited to 40 seconds by default is because after 40 seconds it goes to voicemail, so a longer ringtone is kinda silly and pointless for a ringtone. But let's say you want a full song as your morning alarm, do it to it!

But silly is my lifestyle Official Apple Thread - Page 3 790171
masterchief
masterchief
Pie Academy Member

Number of posts : 276

http://www.propzone.be

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:50 am

No buts! You must have explicit permission from Alice in writing signed in triplicate and notarized by Tweedles before you go getting any kind of silly.

clown Willy Nilly Driving
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am

So I mentioned this to Wonko on the admin forum, but if you have an iOS device, you can write things out on your screen to do Google search. I played with it a bit, and it works just fine and dandy. I imagine this is something that works better on an iPad, as I could only manage 5-6 letters(ish) horizontally at once on my iPhone. But still, it's something that I feel is worth looking into. I could, of course, type faster than that, but for a larger screen, it's probably much more fun such that you wouldn't even mind the extra few seconds.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:13 am

Actually I find it's much more handy on the iPhone. Say, for example, that you don't have Siri and you totally are not driving but need to look something up real quick because that would be totally dangerous and everybody is smart enough to not do that. So it's completely impossible to type without looking at the screen, but not so impossible to write a hand-written search.

On the iPad, it's actually so much easier to just type with the full keyboard, since it actually is a full-sized keyboard left to right in horizontal mode. The keys are exactly the same size on a real keyboard. And everyone types faster than they write so it's more about being able to search with one hand on the iPhone.

It's come in handy for me a couple times already. Then again, if you have Siri you can just tell it to google something. If you don't have Siri there's a giant microphone on the Google homepage for you to search with your voice. You still have to get to that though.

What will be nice is when they integrate Siri into newer cars that already have Bluetooth connections. I have a Honda that connects to my iPhone and Apple is working with Honda, among other car manufacturers to turn one of the Bluetooth buttons on your steering wheel into a Siri button so you can completely control the phone without needing to pick it up. Can't wait for that.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm

It's finally happened.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic#overview

Apparently it took them 3 years to perfect the design. I think I read something about 3D imagery of the human ear to find the exact dimensions for a comfortable fit for the majority of people.

It better be what's up.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Oh, and here's the link to the info on the new iPhone stuff: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

What do you guys think?

It also has a bit more info on the new earphones.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I'll let you know how they are when I get my new iPhone. I highly doubt they'll compare to something like Bose or Sennheiser, but almost anything is an improvement over the classic white earbuds. Still, from all the effort they say they put into it, it looks like they actually might be half decent.

Looks like Apple is starting to hit a hardware Plateau though in terms of their iPhones. The big difference in the new one is the larger screen, but aside from that everything inside is just newer, better, higher quality stuff. The camera for example, and LTE tech and such. On the one hand, this kind of technology plateau is to be expected, and the rest of the major innovations will typically revolve around software once you hit that point with any piece of technology. On the other hand, they haven't done anything huge with the software in a while and there's a lot of little things everyone really wants (widgets in the notification center?!?!?!!! where are they!!!).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not overly "wowed" with the new iPhone in the same way I was with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G, then to a slightly lesser extent with the iPhone 4.

Looks like they finally updated iTunes with a more modern interface though, so that's cool. Looking forward to upgrading to that when it comes out. It seems like it's going to be much easier to make playlists now... you can see your library and the stuff in your playlists as you're dragging songs around so you don't have to keep clicking back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth Banging Head
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Ice posted the wrong link, here's the real link with all the new stuff.

Also:

Official Apple Thread - Page 3 Tumblr_ma91z06rKt1qf8rjmo1_1280
rofl
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 pm

hahaahhahaah
"Can hammer nails
Is pathetic piece of shit compared to the iPhone 6"

yeah if you're looking for budget earphones, I highly recommend these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MK-II-Precision-Enhanced/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1347505804&sr=8-5&keywords=sennheiser

I've posted 'em before on the Admin Panel I think, but I've had them for years, ever since Wonko recommended Sennheiser a while back, and they're pretty great. I got them for the list price of 70 bucks, but my mom got them from Amazon here for an even more discounted price last xmas because she loved mine so much whenever she borrowed 'em. Basically, once you trade up from the Apple crapPods, there's no going back.

They also fit very comfortably in the ear. I can't stand the Apple ones ever since I got these. Adjustable sizes too (I think medium is the one I use).

I think throughout the last 2-3 years, I've slowly been turning into somewhat of an audiophile simply because of all the recommendations Wonko gives me, although I do pester the crap out of him for stuff. I really feel like having good-quality audio is so much more important than the amount of songs you have.

I mean, if you have a hypothetical 100 dollars to spend, you could buy either 100 songs and listen to 'em on the crapPod earphones, or you could buy 50 songs and spend the rest on legit earphones with legit bass sound.

I mean, it's quite obvious what I would choose, but trust me when I say that the general population would go with option 1. That is why, as the Apple presentation guy noted, the majority of iTunes song sales occur on iOS devices. Music is like film in the sense that changes in beat/rhythm/etc occur slowly among genres, and the current trend is just audiotuned, generic garbage that is built specifically to appeal on these devices. We've gone into this a billion times on this forum, so I won't repeat those arguments, but really what I'm saying is that you gotta get some legit earphones/headphones/whatevs to really listen to your tracks.

Last edited by Theicecreaman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:20 pm

You'll have to borrow a friend's new Apple pod things to compare them to your Senni's, I'm curious how they compare to decent in-ear earbuds. Know anyone who's getting one of the new iDevices before the world ends?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the in-ear style earbuds that create a seal and all that. I've read it's actually pretty bad for your ears 'cause of the seal so I guess that means lack of airflow and wax buildup and stuff like that. I've always preferred the over-the-ear style cups like my fancy Senni's or some of the ones Bose makes. They're really comfy for wearing for long durations and I think they just sound better in general.

Not to say your Senni's aren't good, I got them for my sister as a gift a while back and she loves them. They sounded great. I just never found those types of earbuds comfortable personally. And what if a friend needs to borrow them? Ew?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Yeah, I know some people who are upgrading. I'll definitely compare.

My ears do hurt if I listen for too long, but it's alright.

As for the "eww" part, I always clean them after I let a friend borrow 'em. I think I might upgrade to fancy Bose ones maybe in like 2 years or so (like I said above in my edited post, I'm slowly turning into an audiophile lol)
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:09 am

Audiophiles UNITE!!! cheers Also, Hack the Planet!!

Any excuse to post that clip. If you're too young to have seen that movie, GO WATCH IT NOW and become unyoung.

Bose headphones use some pretty awesome noise cancellation voodoo. A friend has a new pair and it's amazing all the background noise those things cancel out. This is very different from noise-blocking, mind you, which is what most in-ear headphones do (because of the seal) and a lot of over the ear phones also (again, because of the seal). Bose 'phones actually have active noise cancellation and I think the theory behind it is if you take some background noise like a whirring fan and play a sound with the opposite acoustic amplitude or some fancy voodoo like that, the whirring fan sound just magically disappears. I haven't actually read up on how that works, so I'm just guessing here really. But it's very impressive the first time you put them on and flip that switch.

I bring that up because I saw that Apple's saying the new iPhone has noise-cancellation built into the earpiece where you listen when you're talking on the phone. So if you're walking down the street talking to someone, the idea is it will be cancelling out all that background noise in that one ear so you can hear the person more clearly. That's kind of neat to be honest because I always have that problem when I can't hear people if there's a lot of background noise. Not even loud background noise, just noise in general.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Never seen that movie.

Gonna watch it one of these days.
edit:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/ears-on-with-apples-new-earpods-better-bass-better-looks-just-better/
Has anyone seen any more in-depth reviews of them so far? I'm just curious--it isn't as if I want a pair. I already have earphones. So far, all the ones I've seen say that they're better than the older ones, but there are still other alternatives at the stand-alone price.

Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 pm

I haven't come across any other reviews just yet, but that's pretty much what I was expecting from them. Better, but only marginally.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm

My god, the cellular situation in the US is absolutely abysmal. I'm referring to this new "wideband audio" feature in the new phone that we will not get stateside because our carriers suck.

Also, I just read that Verizon will not be supporting voice and data at the same time on the iPhone 5, which was a surprise.

I was actually really considering switching to Verizon from AT&T because of the better LTE network. I've used a friend's verizon iPad connected to their LTE network and it's really, really fast. Like WiFi fast. But the few times I've ever used my phone to make a phone call (hah.) I've needed to do something on the Internet at the same time like pull up maps or an email or a website, etc. Like, that was the whole purpose of the call.

"Help, I'm stuck in traffic how do I get out I don't have a fancy iPhone." "Oh, sorry, I switched to verizon so my fancy iPhone can't do that anymore, sad face."

I mean, what's the point. Ice, you got a Verizon iPhone right? Any thoughts on that? The other thing is, Verizon would make me sign up for one of the new super expensive sharing plans even though I just have one phone. I don't need to share among devices or a family plan or anything, they just want more money out of me. It'd end up being an extra 35-40 bucks a month if I switched.

The (good) things I would get would be LTE, facetime over cellular (f'you AT&T for not allowing this unless you pay a bazillion dollars), and automatic WiFi hotspot to connect my iPad (f'you AT&T for making everyone pay extra for this). But I don't know if that's worth so much extra every month. Finding out that voice and data still won't work at the same time is a huge knock off that plan. I don't want to downgrade, that's for sure.

The problem with staying on AT&T is (f'you AT&T!!) they don't have LTE anywhere!!! Okay, that's a lie, they have it in like 2 cities. I don't live in one of them.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 am

I've never, ever had any problems with dropped calls/problems with Verizon. And 4G is everywhere.

As for what you said about not being able to use voice and other stuff, it freakin' sucks. You have no idea how annoying that is. Like, what if someone is telling you how to get somewhere and you want to look at "Maps"? It's stupid.

The thing about Verizon is that they're SUPER-pushing Droid phones. I have heard this from other people too, not just from my own personal experience. I think that is one reason why the plans are like that. They're most beneficial for family sharing. I think that is where they get the most $$ from, not individual clients. Families will also have Verizon internet, cable, landline, etc. That shit adds up.

I honestly have no recommendations. On one hand, if you use voice infrequently, that may not even be much of a factor. On the other hand, it's nice to have. I mean, I have (I'm looking at it now) 4 hours and 35 minutes of call time since I got my iPhone a few months ago. And I don't really even use 3G very often 'cause I'm pretty much always on WiFi (but I still do use it, and it's very handy). So, you know, it's up to you.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 am

I actually know someone with a Verizon family plan that has like 6 people on it. Those new share plans come out to exactly the same price she's paying now under the old pricing structure, so there's absolutely no benefit to it really. When you add up all the data people use then put that into a shared bucket, it amounts to the same you were paying for each phone individually anyway, unless you were grossly overpaying for extra data you didn't need.

I think AT&T's share plans are the same way, it's all just a marketing scam to make people on the cheap individual plans to pay more. That part really pisses me off. They make you think "oh finally, the carriers are moving forward! welcome to the 21st century!" but really it's the exact same pricing structure they've always had, just now they're not offering the less expensive plans anymore. Bull. Shit.

But yeah like I said, I really don't use voice at all, except it always seems when I would need data at the same time. So I think I'm stuck with the devil I know.

Official Apple Thread - Page 3 At-t-logo ---> Official Apple Thread - Page 3 Death-star-att
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am

haha yeah, sorry for not being clearer, I meant that they were "beneficial" for the consumer in the sense that all your bills are in one place (at least that's what they advertise--it honestly doesn't really matter) and beneficial for Verizon so that they can triple/quadruple-scam you.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The word "new" in the context of the entire electronics sector in terms of marketing means nothing. Only technology changes. The devil is in the details, and it's all about the details.

...and the Pentiums.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Rock Hard

"Your motherboard melts when you try to send a fax, where'd you get your CPU in a box of cracker jacks?! Play me online well you know that I'll beat you, if I ever meet you I'll control alt delete you WHAT!!!"

Yes, that was all from memory without even having to watch that video. So many good old school puns in that song.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Explanation of why you can't talk and use data at the same time on Verizon, even with the new phone:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

I've been reading that Voice over LTE is coming within the next two years on Verizon, which would solve this problem. Apparently VoLTE is a new tech that isn't fully developed yet or something? I don't know. Maybe it will push Verizon to develop it quicker... am I willing to risk it? Pay all that extra and not know when they'll upgrade their network?

Bleh. In case you didn't get the hints, I really don't like AT&T as a company. Verizon is marginally better in terms of evilness, but their recent pricing changes has me questioning that assumption. I mean, at the end of the day they're both the descendants of Ma' Bell.

The gubberment broke up Ma' Bell's monopoly into a bunch of "Baby Bells", the idea being that it would distribute all that power out among so many companies that it would never be able to re-form into the huge monopoly that it was. Actually, they all bought each other out over the years and re-coalesced into AT&T and Verizon. So, basically, they're both the devil reincarnated.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm

...That's what happens when you disturb the equilibrium of the market. Shit goes right back to where it was, same as it ever was. I mean, I'm not just some laissez faire conservative--I know that the government needs to regulate some shit. That's why I'm Independent politically--it all depends on the situation. All monopolies, without competition, will start to be less productive and start charging higher prices because they know that people who want the product will pay for the product, assuming it is inelastic enough.

Theoretically speaking, competition drives prices down and makes firms competitive as shit. The problem we're seeing is that, because all the firms bought each other out, we have an oligopoly situation where the norm is a high price, and it's far too risky to try and undercut the competition and get the market share. I could go into the Nash equilibrium and game theory, but I know you understand my point (and everyone else doesn't care lol).

In a less-boring way, they are "the devil reincarnated." Razz

But it makes you think: would we be the same if the government didn't break up the monopoly? Would we be more or less advanced technologically? The same? My book-learnin' says that we'd be less, but this is why I don't like political decisions--you just never really know.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:48 pm

I came across this review of the ear pod things:
http://gdgt.com/apple/earpod/reviews/sp2/

It looks like if you have small ears and the old earbuds were uncomfortable, these will be uncomfortable too. Personally, the old earbuds never really gave me much of a problem other than popping out if I ever tried to run or anything with them.

Also watched a quick review of them online from a tech guy who said the bass was much improved and the sound isolation was impressive for something that doesn't form a seal. He sounded impressed that they're 30 bucks/free with iStuff.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 pm

At least one good thing about my Sennheiser ones is that they have those adjustable ear thingies with the package, so you can choose from small, medium, and large. I didn't change because they're very comfortable on me, but you still have that option.

I actually did have problems with the old ones. They hurt my ears pretty bad when I first got an iPod ages ago as a gift or something. But once I got used to 'em, it was all good. Then, once I upgraded, I never used 'em again haha.

Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm

[rant]

So I just read up on the new maps Apple is putting into iOS6 and I'm actually really not okay with this. It looks like we're going to lose a lot of features that I, at least, use all the time in Google's current maps app which is going away.

See for yourself.

The two biggest problems I can see are there are no transit times listed when you create a route and no street view. How am I supposed to know how long it's gonna take me to get there?? Apple could easily add transit times in a future update, but Street View they definitely won't be adding since it's strictly a Google thing.

There's no official word from Google yet either whether they're going to be releasing a separate Google Maps app like the recently released YouTube app. I'm not even happy about the youtube app to be honest. Apple's removing that in iOS6 too. Google wanted ads and such in there since most of the videos up on youtube have ads nowadays, but Apple wouldn't allow it so they agreed to disagree and Apple removes it from the OS and Google releases its own app with the ads that play at the beginning of the videos. Sucks because I always liked that there were no YouTube ads on the iPhone or my iPad. Also, on my desktop I have adblockers which skip most YouTube ads. This isn't possible on my iPad so I'm gonna be forced to watch them. The end result is I probably won't be watching many YouTube videos anymore because I really can't stand ads. I'm not gonna sit through a 30 second ad just to watch a 10 second funny clip of something.

Ranting

[/rant]
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Oh damn this sucks, dude.

Yo so I was trying to drive somewhere a few months ago, and I was using the Mapquest app to read aloud turn-by-turn directions. Thing is, the place I was going to was a random street in some random street off some other random street. So, naturally, MapQuest only got me to the street before the street (and it did not have labelled the street for which I was looking).

But Google Maps had it just fine, all nice and detailed. As for street view vs. flyover, when the f#&@ am I ever going to use flyover? If I'm lost in a city (and I'm only ever so rarely in a legit city with big buildings and shit like that), how is that going to help me? Sure, it looks pretty, but I don't care about that when I wanna see the street to which I must go. And besides, how awesome is street view? Like, seriously. It's freggin' amazing.

I mean, Google did kinda-sorta-partly-ish go around the FREGGIN' WORLD with their fancy-ass vans (which I've seen) doing all that crazy shit. No sense in that not being there. They should have just added turn-by-turn navigation and negotiated the addition of Flyover as an Apple feature working on a Google-based app.

Btw, which adblockers do you use? I have "Adblock," and I still see the YouTube ads (Chrome). I also love the iPhone for watching YouTube videos. Sometimes when people send me videos, I watch them on my iPhone as opposed to my laptop.

Oh, and just as an aside, was anyone else slightly disappointed by how little they added to Siri? I think we've discussed this before, but before Apple bought Siri, apparently it was able to respond to all kinds of things. However, Apple hacked it up so much that it just does what Apple wants it to. Am I the only one who would prefer Siri reverting back to how it was before in some respects?
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down