Wonko's School Of Cake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Apple Thread

+2
time
Theicecreaman
6 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Official Apple Thread Empty Official Apple Thread

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Okay, well, Wonko and I have a long-ass discussion goin' on the Admin forum about technological stuff, so I figured that we just begin discussing in the General Chat section instead.

Talk about all things Apple here!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-57451486-256/is-apple-fragmenting-the-iphone/?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

Well, according to the article, only the iPhone 4S is going to have turn-by-turn directions. It looks like they're really pushing for users to upgrade here...there's a lot of anti-Apple bias in the article, but it really does suck for people who aren't eligible for an upgrade yet or don't believe they need one.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Number of posts : 4002
Location : Look for the fireworks and semi-functional trampolines

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Official Apple Thread Empty Re: Official Apple Thread

Post by time Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Hooray for having a 4s. Lack of turn-by-turn has been a donuthead, and I am a ginormous noob., glad I'm eligible...
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm actually a bit disappointed that my iPhone 4 won't get the new features. That said, the new stuff is only really good if you have Siri to begin with, which the 4 doesn't have. Also, I was already planning on upgrading to the next iPhone when it came out. I typically upgrade my phone every 2 years as my contract ends. Usually by then I'm completely out of space because I've taken too many photos or videos or I've downloaded way too many apps. And don't want to get rid of any of it. Two years is also a very long time in the phone industry because the technology is advancing so rapidly right now compared even to computer tech.

As far as the fragmentation that they're speaking about, I'm not sure how I feel about that. When people talk about the Android platform being fragmented they aren't talking about different features on different devices... they're actually talking about different variations of the operating system instead. Like I told Ice in our other thread, almost every Android phone that is not the official Google phone has a customized version of Android put there by the manufacturer. This means that when Google releases a new version, you can't get it because you have to wait for your device manufacturer to make a new version for you. Often times this takes over a year and in some cases it never even happens. This is a serious problem for Google, who wants their phones to always have the newest tech to compete with Apple. And we all know competition is good, so Google is trying to fix this.

The fragmentation they're talking about in the article has to do with apple restricting some features to their newer devices and I have to admit I'm not sure how I feel about that either. I mean, back when I had the 3G and the 3GS came out and supported things like home screen wallpapers and such, they claimed the processor in the 3G didn't support it. But you could jailbreak the 3G and get all those features, which I did, and my phone was horribly sluggish and unusable as a result. So I tend to think on some level they're being truthful when they say that the 4's processor isn't fast enough to handle Siri and the new navigation software. I've read reports from people who have hacked Siri into the 4 and they all say it's usable, but not super smooth.

And Apple likes their software to work perfectly on their hardware. It has to be super smooth, the best possible user experience or they don't do it. They're all about the user experience. If I had to pick one thing to describe Apple that's different from any other tech company, that'd be it.

On the other side of the coin, I know that Apple is also VERY good at making people want to upgrade. They make very visual cosmetic changes to their products every so often to make your old devices feel outdated. They do this on purpose, and I tend to think they also limit the features on older devices partly for the same reason. I also think they add a slowness factor of 10 percent for each year you're behind.

But let's face it, they are a business after all and they do have to sell new devices to make their money. And their devices are some of the best in the world so...
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Number of posts : 4104

https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey Ice, I actually had a question for you about your experience with Siri so far. Take a look at this article I just read:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/14/woz-poo-poos-siri-as-poo-poo-video/

It sounds like Siri was much better before Apple got their hands on it. Have you been able to ask it crazy things and get legit answers from it?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

@Time,
Download he MapQuest app--it's free and has voice directions--until they come out with the update. Wonko recommended it to me. I haven't had the chance to use it yet since I have a GPS and usually pre-plan my routes before heading out anyways.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm

It's just nice to sit the phone in your cupholder and have it tell you when to take a turn. You totally don't even have to pay attention to your route.

I'm actually not sure their new turn by turn stuff is going to work that well though based on the videos I've seen. The Mapquest one will tell you to get ready to turn, and then to turn right when you're there. From the videos I've seen of Apple's it looks like it just tells you to turn in x feet ahead. What use is that?! Shrug Hopefully it just wasn't completed yet or something.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 pm

@Wonko (you posted those last two messages while I was making my last one)
I read that article earlier today too! I think it was linked from Google News or something.

I was actually just thinking about that very thing today. I have indeed asked it silly things, and it's been rather bipolar to that respect. Ask it anything legit and simple, and it'll respond well--we all know that. I think I asked it "Where can I hide a body" or something, and it gave me some legit response. My friend asked for prostitutes on his iPhone, and it gave him some responses (he was just joking; don't get an ideas about the company I keep hehe).

But I think I also asked it some other obscure things, and it couldn't recognize them, even ones that it should have had an answer for. Sometimes it just looks for restaurants or other services even if you don't ask it to. I honestly don't use it much...I don't think you're missing out on anything special.

In terms of service, I have some relatives in other countries, and they can't even use it because it's really only US-based right now.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:12 pm

I think Apple and Google are both going in the direction of voice control right now. Eventually they're going to get really good and it'll be just like Star Trek.

And to be honest there are so many little times when I think to myself that it would be so much easier to compose a quick text using voice instead of typing it out on the phone's keyboard. This could be partly because my iPhone 4 is starting to slow down now though (see previously mentioned 10 percent slowness tax).

It would also be really nice to be able to get directions while driving using voice... find things nearby like gas stations when on a road trip, etc. I know we're all probably used to just pulling the phone out and typing it out but let's face it, that's really not safe. I try to avoid doing this as much as possible but there are some times you just can't, you really need maps or something.

There's also text and e-mails that can come in when you're driving and if you're waiting for something important you can tell Siri to read your messages or e-mails while you're driving. And you can respond all in voice too.

One of the things I saw in the recent Keynote is they'll be working with some car manufacturers to make one of their steering wheel buttons be a Siri activator. I have a Honda and Hondas were on their list so my phone button maybe will become a Siri button eventually. That would just be awesome.

Controlling everything like that through voice seems like it would be invaluable to me once I start using it. So I kind feel like I am missing out.

Edit: I just remembered they're also adding more Siri stuff for countries outside the US in iOS6 I think.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Hey guess what, Apple has a clothing line!

http://designtaxi.com/news/352757/Apple-s-Clothing-Line-From-The-80s/#g

Check out these hipsters with their flipped collars. They'd fit right in with today's hipsters:
Official Apple Thread 5
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 pm

So glad I wasn't alive in the 80's...those must have been some crazy times.

But yeah, I mean, who knows what awaits us in the future. I honestly think the Facetime concept is great but needs compatibility with Android devices because that'd be awesome. I know there's Skype and all, but I'm talking about a cell-phone number kinda thing.

edit:
Oh, and one more thing (and this is extremely important):
This is the official Apple thread. We obviously need pictures of apples too!
Official Apple Thread 6a00d8341bfa1853ef0153912d0689970b-800wi
Official Apple Thread 1193305244ARM9MP
Official Apple Thread CutestFood_com_tumblr_l99pxpv1pc1qzcmcno1_500_large1
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 am

Siri's something that I played with a lot when I first bought the phone, and I've been using it less and less since. I've found that it's no better than the voice control I had previously on my Android phone: it's good for several basic phone functions, like looking up things nearby, finding directions, performing a search, or other basic phone functions. Outside of that it's nearly useless. Most questions you ask it (say, the example Wozniak gave about prime numbers) will just end up as a Google search when it really should be able to display the answers right on your screen.

On fragmenting: it seems like Apple is pushing it a bit. I understand their concept of not including something when it isn't a perfect user experience, which is why I see why they don't include Siri on their older models. However, the lack of things like turn-by-turn is baffling. And there's no reason why they can't have text to speech in stuff like text messages... it may take a bit longer to load than the 4s, but I don't think that would harm the experience enough to not include it altogether. I know they have to give users an incentive to upgrade, but I think its already there, even without limiting these extra features.

And I have to admit: I thought this was a thread about apples when I first saw the title. I'm glad they found their way in here! Official Apple Thread Amelia_apple
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:21 am

You're probably right about the upgrade incentive. Apple gives enough incentive by changing their design every two years. Everyone has to have the newest looking device Rolling Eyes

Also, do you know what that particular apple is from, Timey Wimey?!?! And how appropriate that you should be the one to post it, given your nickname!!

Official Apple Thread Apple

For the lesser educated among us:

Official Apple Thread Wibblywobblygif-1
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by blivvy Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 am

I prefer the fruit tbh.
blivvy
blivvy
Marshmallow Academy Member

Number of posts : 2634

Back to top Go down

Post by time Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:Also, do you know what that particular apple is from, Timey Wimey?!?!

Its from Google Images of course! Searched "doctor who smiley apple"
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:28 pm

cheers Hooray for you and your intentional references to awesome things cheers
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Yo I should probably watch this show...should I start with the most recent one or watch one of the older ones? It's on Netflix I think...
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Start from episode 1 of the 2005 revival, and be patient Smile

it can be a little corny in the beginning, but it gets better quickly.
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 pm

I agree. Start at the beginning of the "new" series like Timey Wimey said.

That first season is corny, also like he said, but you start to get into it pretty quick. And then in the next season it's like
Official Apple Thread Neo_whoa_1
And then you'll wonder why you've never watched it before. And then they change Doctors again and it's like
Official Apple Thread Vader
but then you start to get used to it and it's all good in the hood.

Am I right?
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:30 am

Wow, look at this. This is the kind of attention to detail Apple is typically known for. I was worried they were starting to give this kind of thing up lately. Look at the metallic looking volume slider knob as the phone gets tilted. See how the reflection is changing as if the knob were actually a grooved metallic thing? I know it's a dark video but it's all I found. You can still see the X reflection pattern getting narrower and bigger as he tilts the phone though.

Neat, huh.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Just saw episode 1 of the first season.

Wasn't bad. Might watch another later on today or tomorrow perhaps. And yeah, it was really corny, but I think I might get into it more if I continue on watching.
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by time Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Episode 1 is very awkward because it had the burden of reintroducing the show after so many years and trying to modernize it. You'll find that there's a big jump in quality already when you watch the second episode, and it gets waaay better than that as you go on. In fact, I'd say each season is better than the one that came before it (aside from 6 maybe, which some people have issues with but I personally loved).

We should probably make a new thread specifically for doctor who. It'd be fun to talk about the episodes as you watch them (if you decide to continue that is Razz)
time
time
Cookie Academy Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Theicecreaman Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Kai already did that:
https://schoolofcake.forumotion.com/t828-doctor-who
But yeah, I'm addicted now. Screw you guys Angry Wife

Why do I listen to you lot Willy Nilly
I've already seen like 4 or 5 episodes...haha
edit
haha this is what I wrote in 2010:
Theicecreaman wrote:
blivvy wrote:
Theicecreaman wrote:
blivvy wrote:
Bahaha. But srsly, I've never watched the show and know nothing about it. What's all the fuss about anyway?
Same, is it any good? scratch

I know you guys are going to say yes but why should we watch it? What's special about an unknown doctor? eek!
Well it appears to be on Netflix instant streaming so I suppose that I will watch it on a rainy day. (that means years from now when I'll suddenly remember that I have to watch it haha)
Theicecreaman
Theicecreaman
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Just wait until you get to David Tennant as the Doctor. Abso-fudging-lutely amazing.

Post in Kai's thread as you finish groups of episodes so's we can all talk about 'em Very Happy
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am

When it comes to desserts, no apple has has it better than Granny Smith but for casual eating, it'd have to be Bloody Ploughman.
Loki
Loki
Court Jester

Number of posts : 1279

Back to top Go down

Post by Wonko the Sane Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I like Macoun apples the best for eating. The Granny Smith is too hard to bite into. I don't think I've ever seen a Bloody Ploughman in the markets over here though. Must be a local variety.
Wonko the Sane
Wonko the Sane
Certifiably Sane
Certifiably Sane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next